Is this a problem? New HP user

Old 11-06-04, 04:49 AM
NewVA
Visiting Guest
Red face Is this a problem? New HP user

I am new to the world of heat pumps so I don't know if this is normal or not. My Heatpump will come on and every once in a while I can hear it make a sound like it is releasing pressure sort of a higher pitched psshht sound and then it keeps going. This morning I got up and the pump was running and the EM heat green light was on and I could hear the compressor running outside. I turned down the thermostat and the fan did not stop running. I eventually turned the switch to off to get everything to turn off. When I turned it back on everything stayed off and when I turned the heat up the fan, compressor and the green EM heat light also came back on. I don't recall that the EM light has been on when it was running prior to this. I also went and looked at my compressor and there are two bands of frost/Ice One upper and one lower on the unit. I don't know if this is normal or not since I have never had a heat pump before after moving here from the land of natural gas.

Any help or advise would be appreciated.

Thanks

Old 11-06-04, 06:16 AM
heatpumpman
Visiting Guest
Sounds like everything is good to go.

The green light will come on for two reasons, one is that there is a differential of 2-3 degrees or more between the set point and the actual room temperature at the thermostat, hence if you are just turning it on and warming the house up. The other reason the light comes on is because the system is in defrost mode. In normal operation the unit outside will frost up, then a sensor tell the system it's time to defrost. The system actually switches into air conditioning mode for a short time (hence the swooshing sound) and energizes the aux. heat strips (the green light) while this is going on. The best way to run a heatpump is to set it at your desired temp and leave it alone. That way the 'green light' operation is left to a minimum and savings on the electric bill are as much as possible. Hope this helped.

Old 11-06-04, 07:47 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Thumbs up

like said , thats just how it works. Now like to add one more thing here. Not sure where you are there up north. But the next thing you can or will see is white smoke coming up from the out door unit. This can happen when it is in defrost and its just the moisture comeing off the unit in the cold cold air. I dont know how many calls we get from newbe's that the unit is on fire when they see this the first time

Ed

Old 11-06-04, 04:19 PM
heatpumpman
Visiting Guest
Good point there, Ed

To NewVA, Hopefully you have a duct system that delivers. Most heat pump complaints, that I encounter, have to do with draftiness due to too much air out of some vents and some that blow straight down on you somewhere in the house. It's going to run alot, be forewarned, but if your house is fairly tight and the unit sized close, then you should come out pretty good when the utility bills come in. I like to say, 'there ain't no cheap heat' but around here the heatpump is the way to go. Why, I even know a Canadian that is happy with his heatpump!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: