Can someone please 'walk me through' a defrost control replacement???

Old 11-10-04, 11:26 AM
t7sconnor
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Can someone please 'walk me through' a defrost control replacement???

Hello everyone, I'm new here and HOPING that someone can please help me out by telling me how to go about replacing my defrost control on my Carrier heatpump?
A few details that may or may not be important:
Carrier heatpump, originally installed in 1996
Model # 38YCBO24311
Serial # 4595E13857
In April, right when it started getting warm, we had a tech come out and he charged the unit with freon (it wasn't cooling correctly)...it supposedly took 5 pounds of the stuff! Then he said that we needed a new defrost control, and that we needed to have it replaced before the freezing weather set in this winter. He then UNPLUGGED the device, tied the wires up in the unit, and replaced the metal panel, and that was that.
So, now, unless we run the Emergency Electric Heat, the outside unit can't figure out when it needs to stop, rest, and defrost itself, so it turns into an ice cube.
I don't really trust this tech, but I can't figure out where to plug the defrost control back in (so I can see if it really doesn't work)... it worked just fine last winter, so I don't understand why it would just go 'kaput' in the beginning of summer?
Also, if I need to replace it, I would like to do it myself, as I have heard that I can probably get someone to 'walk me through it'...
I need to know
1. where the buy the part
2. what 'uncommon' tools I may need to purchase
3. how exactly to go about replacing the thermostat
4. anything else you as experts deem necessary knowledge!!
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!
~T7sconnor in VA USA

Old 11-10-04, 03:55 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
can you post somewhere a pic of what you have there? hard to say what to do when i am not sure what is wired up now.

there is a schematic diagram inside the unit that will tell you where every wire goes

Old 11-20-06, 05:31 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Arrow

Can you walk me through replacing a defrost control replacement for a goodman heat pump?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: