Heating Problems

Old 11-14-04, 02:31 AM
DzNutz
Visiting Guest
Heating Problems

I am having this really wierd problem where I can only get heat to come out of my system sometimes. I will turn on the heat at the thermostat, and cold air will blow out, but not like a/c cold. Just cooler. If I play with the thermostat just right (switch over to cold and then slowly flipping to heat, etc) then sometimes I can get it to start blowing hot air out.. My house is equipped with an (older) Trane unit an old school Honeywell thermostat. I dont know anything about this stuf, but something is leading me to believe it is the thermostat, only because I can get it on sometimes..
Any advice on how to figure out WTF is going on would be awesome.. Thanks.

I should add that the system is all electric - and Im lucky because here in AZ we can hold out for a little while longer before it really gets cold at night...

Last edited by DzNutz; 11-14-04 at 02:37 AM. Reason: SP, Addition
Old 11-14-04, 05:31 AM
heatpumpman
Visiting Guest
You can prove what is wrong...

with a volt meter. This takes guessing out of the whole equation. It might be the thermostat, but then again it might not be. You don't say what kind of system that you have. Not knowing anything about this stuff is a sure recipe for buying parts that you don't need. I know, I do it with car repairs EVERY time!

Back to the voltmeter, have you got one? If not, call a pro. If you do have one and not sure how to use it or what to check for, start bringing it out and learn how to use it, and still call a pro to fix this problem.

Not to leave it like you can't do this. Have you taken the thermostat cover off and checked all the connections making sure they are good? Could do a thorough visual inspection of the air handler too, with the power off to the unit, of course. Take care,

Old 11-14-04, 09:12 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Wink

You dont say here .When you go to heat and push the tstat up when the blower comes on does the outdoor unit come on or not. You say all electric is it an electric furnace with AC or a electric strips and heatpump. like said if you cant come up with more info get some one to look at it aand have thmem walk you over the whole set up.

ED

Old 11-14-04, 10:52 AM
DzNutz
Visiting Guest
Yeah.. I was afraid of something like that.. I will probably have to call out a pro- Which sucks becuazse I just spent a couple hundred bucks fixing the fan on the unit a few months ago- When its 115 deg outside, you don't hesitate to get an HVAC guy out to fix it, believe me!!
Im baffled by the fact that the heater will come on when I play with the TSTAT enough. Its an old Honeywell Chronotherm III T8600. Batteries are good. If im reading the back of this tstat correctly (the screws) its an electric warm air unit.. Not sure what that is yet, but Im not shy about trying to do some research. If anyone knows how to point me in the right direction, that would be awesome...
I am wondering if a new tstat would fix this problem. The only reason I think this is because I am able to get it working, sometimes. And only after playing around with the tstat- turning on the AC and then flipping it to the heater, etc. Sometimes my little triks work just fine, and sometimes they help none, and we just turn off the unit and double up on the covers..
But could it be the heat pump? When I turn the temp up, air blows out, but its not heated.
Thanks for all your help. if someone wants to walk me through the little checks, Im totally capable of doing it. Otherwise it may be time to dish out more money to get this thing checked out..
-D

BTW- Its a rooftop unit. Im not sure if that helps us figure out what kind of unit it is. Im going to try go up there today and get model numbers, etc... thanks again.

Old 11-14-04, 12:36 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Wink

At the tstat jump R to W do you get heat. Are what comes on?? R to Y is compressor R to G is fan. This could rule out if its the tstat or some thing else. Still need to know heat pump or not. How many wires on the tstat and what do they go to????

ED

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: