Heat pump help!

Old 11-15-04, 05:54 PM
stourm
Visiting Guest
Angry Heat pump help!

I am sorry guys but I know little to nothing about these things so pardon me if I ask a stupid question. The kind of unit I have is a York but I don't know much about it...I think it may be a 2 ton but who knows for sure, it was here when I bought the house. I live in west TN and it has rarely gotten colder than the low 40s recently but I have been having some issues with my heat pump system...I think. See the other day I woke up and it felt a little colder than normal so I went to check the thermostat. The EM Heat light was blinking and it was just a couple of degrees lower than the setting. I went to the vent and checked and it was blowing 'cool' air instead of warmer air. Well, knowing that sometimes these things freeze up or whatever, I turned the unit completely off and turned the fan on for about 10 minutes. Then I turned the unit back on, and it appeared to be working as normal. Tonight, I was walking down the hallway and noticed the EM Heat light was blinking again and again felt the air that was blowing through and indeed...it was cool air. Well I went out and looked at the unit with a flashlight and it wasn't frozen up whatsoever. I came back in, and turned the unit off...waited only a minute, then turned it back on. It started blowing warm air right away, but I did notice that the big fan outside wasn't turning or blowing or anything. I thought that was odd so I turned the unit off, then turned on the air conditioner, and again the fan didn't come on outside, but I only let the air conditioner run about a minute before turning it off and turning the heat back on. It isn't cold enough in the house yet for it to kick back on but after I turned the heat back on the fan never turned on outside, but then again it didn't run long before kicking off. My questions are...should that fan run always when heat and/or air conditioner is on? Should it ever switch over to EM Heat if the unit is working properly when its still relatively warm outside (during the day it still around the high 50s and lower 60s?) What could the problem be do you think and could I fix it? Like I said I don't know a lot about heat pumps, but I am an IT Technician and I repair computers and printers fairly often so I believe if it isn't too technicaly complex I can handle it. Thanks for the help if you can offer any.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-04, 12:54 PM
Wink

When you turn the tstat to off and back on you could be resetting the unit. Yes the out door fan has to run when its on heat or on cool. Check fan there first. When you call for heat or cool give the fan there a push and see if it will run .If so it just the capacitor if not get a new motor for it same Rpm and spin the same way. Also a new capacitor with it. let use know how you do

ED