Outside Heat Pump Really Loud...Help....

Old 11-19-04, 02:36 PM
silkwood012
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Outside Heat Pump Really Loud...Help....

I have a Rheem Heat Pump outside and the last couple of days it has been running very loud. I can hear it in my living room and there are 4 walls between us. Why would it be running that loud? I was told to turn it off and use the emergency heat so I have done that. I noticed this morning when I went out and looked at the unit the pipe running up the wall that has black foam around it had a lot of condinsation on it. What could this mean and will it hurt if I use my emergency heat until I get it fixed?

Any input will be greatful as I am single mom trying to figure it out on my own. It doesn't always work out that way....thanks a million in advance for the advice and help.

Old 11-19-04, 02:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

Yes it ok to use the strip heaters . Thats what they are there for.Not sure on the big copper line there like you said, When you are on the heatpump and it is running that should be hot.in the summer that big copper line should be cold and wet. Call a service guy in for sure to check the outdoor unit. Dont forget new air filter every 30 to 90 days will save fuel cost and wear on the unit.

ED

Old 11-20-04, 03:30 PM
C
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When it was making this noise, did it still heat well ? Could you feel plenty of air coming out of the vents ?

Did it make this noise the very FIRST time you switched to Heat Mode ?

Did it make the noise in Cooling Mode ?

Did it do it last year ?

Take care,
CoolBreeze

Old 12-14-04, 05:01 AM
Brett B.
Visiting Guest
I have got the same problem with my Rheem heat pump. It makes a VERY loud noise in heat mode only. It started last year, continued this year on the first heat cycle, does not make the noise on the cool cycle, and heats and cools properly. It's loud enough, however, that we can't sleep well at night.

The unit will turn on, and after a couple of seconds the noise will start. I can push down on the fan guard at different locations and affect the sound. I'm wondering if the fan is out of balance.

I have a smaller Rheem unit beside this unit, and it is fine.

My HVAC man seems clueless on this problem.

Help

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: