Fan And Compressor Keeps Running?

Old 11-26-04, 06:08 AM
Mark E. Smale
Visiting Guest
Question Fan And Compressor Keeps Running?

Live in Phoenix - Have a Heat pump for cooling & heating. Turned heat on for the first time about a week ago (nights only). I noticed a couple of days ago, that the fan and compressor outside keeps running, even with the Thermostat switched to OFF. Was told by a friend, that the Thermostat needed replaced. Did that, but problem is still there. The only way to get the fan to stop running, is to turn off the breaker, which is what I've done the past two days. Any ideas, on what to do next?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-04, 08:16 PM
bigjohn1
Visiting Guest
Most likely the contact points on the compressor contactor have welded themselves shut. If you continue to run the unit, you're chancing wiping out the compressor which is $$$$$$.

Old 11-27-04, 04:58 AM
Mark E. Smale
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by bigjohn1
Most likely the contact points on the compressor contactor have welded themselves shut. If you continue to run the unit, you're chancing wiping out the compressor which is $$$$$$.

Where would I find the compressor contactor. How long a period of running until the compressor is wiped out?

Old 11-27-04, 07:22 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It's located in the outdoor unit. Turn off the breaker out there and remove the service panel. The contactor is going to be a square block type device with the line voltage wires going in one side then out the other and a couple small wires on each side for control of the coil. Take a digital picture for wire refrence or make a good drawing of where they land and take the contactor out and get a new one that matches the old.

Old 11-27-04, 08:39 PM
Mark E. Smale
Visiting Guest
Smile

Originally Posted by mattison
It's located in the outdoor unit. Turn off the breaker out there and remove the service panel. The contactor is going to be a square block type device with the line voltage wires going in one side then out the other and a couple small wires on each side for control of the coil. Take a digital picture for wire refrence or make a good drawing of where they land and take the contactor out and get a new one that matches the old.
I want to "THANK" everyone for responding. I replaced the contactor today and everything seems to be working fine once again. This is my first experience with this website and I've learned alot from reading different problems in the FORUM. I appreciate the advice given and the expertise of those involved. Until my next "trial", I'll sit back and enjoy the reading and learning.