Solution to Heat Pump defrost cycle noise for Carrier and Bryant

Old 11-27-04, 08:23 AM
ricklab
Visiting Guest
Smile Solution to Heat Pump defrost cycle noise for Carrier and Bryant

I purchased a Bryant Heat Pump in July of 2003. That fall I noticed a loud wooshing/moaning sound whenever the unit went in/out of defrost cycle. I contacted my dealer and worked with Carrier tech support for over a year on this. They even gave me a new unit which made the exact same noise. Finally they told me they would take my old unit and run it in a tesing facility to isolate what was making this noise. They called it the "moose call". They determined it was the reversing valve and would replace mine as soon as they found a replacement that worked. The new valve was installed on 11/26/2004 and it seems to be fixed. My dealer ran the unit through multiple defrost cycles and it sounds completely different. The woosh is much quieter and the "moose call" is gone. So far so good. Hopefully it lasts. I give credit to the persistance of my dealer and Carriers tech support person, Kurt Peterson. He works for Carrier Northeast at 860-635-6500 ext 5.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-04, 09:16 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wink

All heatpumps will make some noise from the 4 way valve
in the outdoor unit. When it goes to defrost the valve works cause the unit is going into the AC set up. Some old units the valve would work when you went to heat. but they found out if the valve stoped then you didnt have any heat just AC. So now when the unit is off the heatpump is set for heat anytime . This way should the valve go out on you in winter you will still have heat but no AC or defrost.

ED

Old 03-15-08, 06:53 AM
Unhappy carrier infinity trumpet noise

Our newly installed Carrier Infinity heat pump makes a loud snorting noise, like an elephant call, or a tool box scraping on a cement floor. This noise lasts a second or two and only occurs in cooler weather near and below the freezing mark. Otherwise, it works fine. For the entire winter season on the coast, whenever the temperatures dips to freezing or below, we have been wakened during the night by this loud trumpet burst noise just prior to the unit going into its defrosting cycle. The unit goes into auxiliary heat to help defrost the outside coils outside and we see the steam rising.

Several visits by the installer and several calls to Carrier have been made but despite adjustments to dip switches and whatever else (no new parts) the noise persists.

It appears from the previous post that this noise problem has been around at least since 2004 and the fix required replacing the reversing valve which Carrier appears reluctant to do without putting the consumer to a lot of trouble.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Old 12-16-08, 10:31 AM
My Carrier Heat pump is just one month old. It has started to get very cold - freezing temps and my heat pump also makes that loud Moose Call sound every once in a while. . . NOt impressed. It was supposed to be a quiet unit. I will call the installer and see if the noise can be repaired.

Old 01-04-09, 08:50 AM
Alot of units come from the factory with the default settings on the defrost circuit board. These circuit boards are not set for use with newer scroll compressors by default. There should be a jumper on the board to set a delay of about 30 seconds before going into defrost so that the pressure can rebalance. With the delay set the unit will run quieter.

Old 01-19-09, 02:31 PM
Noisy Bryant Heat pump

Has anyone come up with a solution for the defrost noise that happens with the Bryant Heat Pump? We've had the installer come out twice to make the adjustments, and the noise still wakes us up in the middle of the night, as well as as drowning out our television when we are awake. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you.

Old 01-25-09, 02:55 AM
Alot of units come from the factory with the default settings on the defrost circuit board. These circuit boards are not set for use with newer scroll compressors by default. There should be a jumper on the board to set a delay of about 30 seconds before going into defrost so that the pressure can rebalance. With the delay set the unit will run quieter.
Is this for Carrier units? I have called the installer and he says the noise is 'normal'. grrrrr

Old 02-10-09, 12:26 PM
Originally Posted by anngatewood View Post
Has anyone come up with a solution for the defrost noise that happens with the Bryant Heat Pump? We've had the installer come out twice to make the adjustments, and the noise still wakes us up in the middle of the night, as well as as drowning out our television when we are awake. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you.
Anyone? My Bryant heat pump is doing the same thing, and with the darn thing right outside the master bedroom wall, it's ridiculous! What's the fix!?!?

Old 02-14-09, 10:17 AM
In 2007 I bought a 5 ton Carrier Infinity. - the biggest and best that Carrier had then. I'm on acreage and I wanted the compressor put away from the house, but the coy gave me literature from Carrier saying it made the noise of a "household refrigerator" and said it should be put alongside the house and I'd never hear it.

What a load of collywobbles!

People talk about a loud whoosing noise - that's nothing - mine goes off like a truck's airbrakes - every 20 minutes in the cold season!!

And then there is the loud noise when the motor starts up after the defrost cycle.

And as for the household refrigerator noise - that is just a bald faced lie. In normal running during summer it is quiet, but in winter it drops into its second stage and is definitely noisy.

I wish I had stuck to my guns and got a geothermal unit - I have the space. Problem was the air source are so easy for the contractor to install - and when I bought mine it was the middle of the building boom and the contractors were picking and choosing their work - that the contractors here could not be bothered with the time to install a ground source.

Old 03-26-09, 08:22 AM
My dealer is coming by today with a Carrier rep to repair the moose call noise. It is the reverse valve that Carrier admits it is/was having problems with.

Btw, when I first told my dealer of the noise he said it was normal but I was kindly insistant that it wasn't . . . so, it's now getting handled! Call your dealers be persistant. Loud defrosting noises is NOT normal.

Old 03-26-09, 05:11 PM
Moose Call

June/08, installed a Infinity Series Carrier HP w/natural gas Hybrid 3 Ton unit. I have been living with this "Moose Call" noise since cold weather. Have had Carrier Rep here as well as the installer. We tried various things and did select the quiet shift but did not help. No solution yet found, so I was glad to read that my suspicions are confirmed that it is the reversing valve. I selected this unit because we live in close proximity to other homes and because of it's advertised "Quiet Operation" (like a refridgerator, ya right).

Old 12-22-10, 11:54 AM
Every heat pump in the world is going to make noise when going into and out of defrost mode. The question is to what degree is the noise level. Every manufacture deals with defrost differently, and with the addition of the new refrigerant 410a noise levels will increase. Yes they may say its the quietest product they make in that model, pay attention to "that model" which does not include any other product they ever made. Some Carrier products have "Quiet Shift" (Unit shuts off, reversing valve shifts, unit comes back on with out fan. Then when comming out of defrost the unit turns off, reversing valve shifts again then turns back on with the fan.) The whole process is a bunch of noise but can quiet the shift which is the loudest part. New models have this process built into the controls and other manufactures have done similar things. Keep the outdoor heatpump away from TV rooms and bedrooms, or have it relocated because it will haunt you the next 15 years. I had an encounter with the loud moose call, and it was the reversing valve size (too small for unit size +410a pressures). It is a very distinct noise.

Old 12-22-10, 03:24 PM
Originally Posted by SERVICE TECHNIC View Post
Every heat pump in the world is going to make noise when going into and out of defrost mode. The question is to what degree is the noise level. Every manufacture deals with defrost differently, and with the addition of the new refrigerant 410a noise levels will increase. Yes they may say its the quietest product they make in that model, pay attention to "that model" which does not include any other product they ever made. Some Carrier products have "Quiet Shift" (Unit shuts off, reversing valve shifts, unit comes back on with out fan. Then when comming out of defrost the unit turns off, reversing valve shifts again then turns back on with the fan.) The whole process is a bunch of noise but can quiet the shift which is the loudest part. New models have this process built into the controls and other manufactures have done similar things. Keep the outdoor heatpump away from TV rooms and bedrooms, or have it relocated because it will haunt you the next 15 years. I had an encounter with the loud moose call, and it was the reversing valve size (too small for unit size +410a pressures). It is a very distinct noise.
Tech, FYI.. This post over a year and half old. No point of waking up the old post older than 2 months old.