Stange smell from new york heat pump

Old 11-29-04, 01:53 PM
jess2132000
Visiting Guest
Stange smell from new york heat pump

We just got a new AC/heat pump installed today with a humidifier. I noticed that it smells kind of like paint or freeon?? I know my spelling is off. Anyway will that smell go away in time? I am on the third floor of our house and it seems kind of a strong smell. I will hope this goes away in a day or two.

Old 11-29-04, 02:11 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wink

You dont say if the strip heaters came on they can do this to you. You say new. Where the guys there on start up what did they say? The freon ,dont thing you will smell it. Only if it gets to an open flame then it turns into a phosgene gas, now that wil get you.New duct work can smell.Was it like a motor smell that burnt like. Id ask the guy that put it in if its OK .Thats what you paid them for.to make sure everything was OK.
Lets us know if it get ok

ED

Old 11-29-04, 03:15 PM
jess2132000
Visiting Guest
Heat pump smell

Originally Posted by Ed Imeduc
You dont say if the strip heaters came on they can do this to you. You say new. Where the guys there on start up what did they say? The freon ,dont thing you will smell it. Only if it gets to an open flame then it turns into a phosgene gas, now that wil get you.New duct work can smell.Was it like a motor smell that burnt like. Id ask the guy that put it in if its OK .Thats what you paid them for.to make sure everything was OK.
Lets us know if it get ok

ED
I called the guy on the phone and they said that it probably is just the heat that I smell since the unit was just turned on today. I never had this smell with the old york system but we never had a humidifier hooked into the system either. Anyway the kids came home from school and first thing from their mouth was "What is that smell!!" It does not smell like something is burning. I use to smell that if I turned our old unit on a higher heat. More of a musty smell. I think he also told me that it could be the unit blowing some of the dust from the vents. Hopefully it will go away in a few days.

Old 12-04-04, 07:52 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
It was probably dust and preserving fluids burning off the interior surfaces, it should go away in a few days usage.

Make sure you keep up with filter changes.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: