AUX heat

Old 12-01-04, 05:49 AM
manmeet72
Visiting Guest
AUX heat

I'm a newbie; so please take that into consideration as you read along. We recently purchased a house with a Carrier unit. In the summer, it would not cool. The problem was detected to leaking Freon from an eroded coil in the unit inside the house. We have chosen to postpone replacing the coil till next summer. However, now when I turn it to "heat", it barely heats the house and only does so when "AUX HEAT" comes up on the thermostat. When the heat pump outside is running the outside copper coil is warm at best and not hot as it ought to be. My question is......should I let it keep running like this till next summer. Or will my electricity bill shoot up dramatically because of my perpetual AUX heat being required to heat the house? Further, would some kind soul kindly give me an estimate of replacing a coil in the inside unit?

Old 12-01-04, 06:40 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

Dont run the heat pump at all till you get the coil leak fixed and freon in the unit there. You will end up and have to buy a whole new unit inside and out. As for cost its hard to say its different all over . Turn it to AUX now and just run that till its fixed. DONT RUN THAT HEAT PUMP ANYMORE. Till you get it fixed. Dont know where you are but can be.To fix it right now will cost less than run it on strip heaters all winter.

ED

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: