Outside fan on, blower inside won't start...

Old 12-01-04, 08:20 AM
johnnyx
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Outside fan on, blower inside won't start...

Hello,

Another newbie with a mission here. I skimmed through the previous 7 pages, but didn't quite find a similar post on my issue.

Last night at 2am I hear the heating coming on, the fan/handler outside seems slightly louder than normal (and of course it's the coldest night of the year in the Phoenix area - yes, darn near close to freezing (no laughing!)

"Heating" comes on when tstat says it should, outside fan starts and the usual 15 sec or so delay for the inside blower to start - doesn't start. Just a buzzing inside the unit upstairs. I open it up and here's what's buzzing:

Here's what I've got:
http://www.homes-ariz.com/images/goettl.jpg

and here's what's buzzin':
http://www.homes-ariz.com/images/bzzz.jpg

Any suggestions? I'd rather take care of this myself, but don't want to hose up my entire system.

Many thanks in advance!

EDIT: FYI, the blower fan moves freely, no rubbing/catching/etc.

Last edited by johnnyx; 12-01-04 at 08:21 AM. Reason: additional notes
Old 12-01-04, 01:03 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

First with it calling for heat and the blower should turn on. Look out here Give the blower wheel a push or spin it the way it should go. If it takes off and runs its the capacitor for it get a new one is all just like it. Now do you get fan at fan on at the tstat??? Look at the wire lay out should be on the door for a fan relay for heat can be that. What you show in the pic looks like the transformer yes it can buzzz
But also a bad relay can buzzzzz to When out door unit is on is the big copper pipe hot??? See what you get when you try it all and come back here same post some one can help. We need the info just what workd or dont

ED

Old 12-01-04, 02:17 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
rubber grommets or switching polarity may help, if the fan is not turning we need to know if it is getting voltage. as ed said, can you spin it off?

Old 12-01-04, 04:42 PM
johnnyx
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up Spinning the blower got it rolling again.

Originally Posted by Ed Imeduc
First with it calling for heat and the blower should turn on. Look out here Give the blower wheel a push or spin it the way it should go. If it takes off and runs its the capacitor for it get a new one is all just like it. Now do you get fan at fan on at the tstat??? Look at the wire lay out should be on the door for a fan relay for heat can be that. What you show in the pic looks like the transformer yes it can buzzz
But also a bad relay can buzzzzz to When out door unit is on is the big copper pipe hot??? See what you get when you try it all and come back here same post some one can help. We need the info just what workd or dont

ED
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies. Much appreciated.

I tried to spin the wheel this morning, but I think I didn't wait long enough until it was trying to get started. I gave it another 15 secs and spun the thing real good and it took off. Now it's working like it should - at least heating properly - though once it's off we'll see if it starts up again like it should. I want to get the house warmed up good before I shut it off again. My 2 year old will be happy with that.

So based on that, sounds like the capacitor might need replacing? That's the "can" that appears attached to the outside of the blower motor area on mine. Those can't be too hard to replace on your own, right? I mean, I've installed suspension components on SUVs, how hard can a capacitor be? (coming from a Real Estate Agent w/ a Physics degree - HAA!!)

Thanks again, fellas.

Old 12-04-04, 09:51 PM
johnnyx
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up I'm up and runnin'.

Yep - turns out it was the capacitor. A whopping $5.00 at the local HVAC store.

About 2 minutes to swap it in and the heater works like a champ again.

Thanks again!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: