Coleman heat pump - no heat or AC, fan on

Old 12-02-04, 07:27 AM
Littlefish
Visiting Guest
Angry Coleman heat pump - no heat or AC, fan on

I have a Coleman heat pump that no longer produces heat or AC cold air. The fan is running though.

Before the unit stopped working (no heat\AC) it had another problem where the power to the entire system had to be switch on for 15 or 20 minutes before the heat pump would work (before the fan would start) from the thermostat. Basically you had to let it sit before trying to start the pump. If you didn't wait long enough the heat pump would make some nose but the fan would never start. Same thing would occur if the thermostat was moved so that the unit stopped and then moved back again to re-start the pump. If you didn't wait for 15 minutes the pump's fan would not start.

I don't know much about these units other than what I've seen on this forum. I live in a somewhat remote location so getting a service technician to check out the unit may be a problem. Any suggestions as to where to start diagnosing would be appreciated! Thanks!

Old 12-02-04, 05:47 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
try this first

turn off power to inside blower unit
remove tstat marking wires

seperate wires and re energize

what happens?

jump R and Y, what happens?

R and G?

Old 12-03-04, 08:16 AM
Littlefish
Visiting Guest
Thanks, I'll give that a try.

Old 12-03-04, 01:00 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

Before the unit stopped working (no heat\AC) it had another problem where the power to the entire system had to be switch on for 15 or 20 minutes before the heat pump would work (before the fan would start) from the thermostat. Basically you had to let it sit before trying to start the pump. If you didn't wait long enough the heat pump would make some nose but the fan would never start.
Do you mean the 220V power to the unit???Do you have a oil crankcase heater on the compressor???

ED

Old 12-06-04, 10:49 AM
Littlefish
Visiting Guest
Ed,
I don't believe there's an oil crankcase heater. The 220 is OK. Just the fan (in the heat pump unit - outside) wouldn't run if you didn't wait long enough. That sams problem is there now, but once the fan does kick in there is no heat or AC, which is a new problem. I haven't worked on the unit yet because the backup propane furnace is working and it's damn cold out side. I suspect an electrical component of some kind is out. We did have to run off a generator last year for about a week which may have hurt something in the heat pump, but I think we had the thermosate set so the pump would not be used.
Thanks!
Scott

Old 12-06-04, 11:06 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

I guess you will have to hold off till it gets warm there. That run off the generator could have done some thing to it .AC dont like them unless they are big and put out the power to start. A start kit on the unit can help that. After they are up and running its ok. Can be just a capacitor there now and you should Ohm out the compressor. check all wires in there and the wires right on the compressor.

ED

Old 12-07-04, 07:04 AM
Littlefish
Visiting Guest
I'm thinking it's a bad capacitor too. Maybe that's why it took time to start (i.e. the capacitor was taking a long time to charge up?). Then it finially failed. That should be an easy fix and not too expensive if I guess wrong. As I recall there are a couple capacitors in the control box on the pump\fan unit out side. When it gets into the 30's and stops raining\snowing I'll give it a check. Any advice on a good place to order parts? Thanks!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: