Emergency Heat

Old 12-03-04, 05:04 AM
kkmcewen
Visiting Guest
Question Emergency Heat

1. Is it common for the emergency heat to come on? I live in north Texas and the temp was 32. I just need to know if its normal operation or should the heat pump be able to keep up at those temps?

2. Why do I have a aux. light and emergency light that come on at the same time?

3. Thermostat is set at 72. D1 is set at 1 and D2 is set at 2. Actual temp goes to 71 then the heat comes on. If the actual temp hits 70 then emergency heat comes on, right? As the actual temp comes up should the emergency heat shut off at 71 and the heat remain on until 73? Or does the emergency heat remain on until the actual temp hits 73?

4. If I have the hold feature on will the emergency heat come on the minute the actual temp goes below the set temp? I had my thermostat set on hold with a temp of 72. I noticed that as soon as the actual temp went to 71 the emergency heat came on?

Last edited by kkmcewen; 12-03-04 at 01:56 PM.
Old 12-04-04, 06:49 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
The only reason the temperature would continue to drop after the heat came on is if the heat pump couldn't supply enough 'free air' heat to keep up, in which case yes, the aux heat will come on.

I've found that, as long as the temp difference is only 1 degree, aux heat doesn't come on. Make it two degrees and it does but only for a minute or two, boy does it suck down the power when it's on.

I was actually suprised at how warm the air coming out was on just free air heat.

Old 12-04-04, 07:15 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wink

At 32o there I cant see why the strip heaters came on. It dont sound right. Its only when the heat pump cant keep up the temp that the strips should come on. Or when the unit goes into defrost . This is why I dont like a programmable tstat on a heat pump. When it goes into a set back for a time then want to turn the heat back up the strip heaters turn on also. so you loss what you saved. the COP of your heat pump at that temp is about 30. So that means that with the heat pump you will get about 3 times more heat for a $ dollar than you will get for the same dollar from the strip heaters only. So try to set it and forget it. Filters every 30 to 90 days and a good humidifier help on the fuel bill.

ED

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: