Carrier indoor fan not blowing

Old 12-11-04, 01:07 PM
mhoff
Visiting Guest
Carrier indoor fan not blowing

I noticed last night that it was getting cool in the house. The electronic thermostat showed "on," but the indoor fan was not blowing. Here's what I know:
The outdoor unit runs for about a minute, the copper tube gets hot.
The indoor unit then hums loudly for a bit, but doesn't run.
The fan spins easily, but doesn't start when I spin it-probably not a fan capacitor problem.

Does this sound like a fan relay? If so, how do I figure out which one of the several electronic-looking modules is the relay?

I'm willing to bet a few bucks before I call in the repair guy if this seems reasonable.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-04, 02:32 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wink

First off here will fan come on at tstat with fan on?? if not Jump in the tstat R to G do you have fan??? if not here its on down to the unit and check relays there. Best if you have a meter for this.Look on the door of the unit should be a wire schematic find the blower relay and check it out.

ED

Old 12-12-04, 02:36 AM
mhoff
Visiting Guest
Ed-
Thanks for the help. The fan does not blow when it's switched "on."

When you say to jump R to G, I assume you mean to run a wire from one to the other and see if the fan comes on. I'll try that. If the fan does not come on, I'll replace the fan relay since I don't know how to check out the relay with a multimeter. If that doesn't work, I'll bring in the professionals!

Old 12-12-04, 08:39 AM
mhoff
Visiting Guest
I think I've got it. I mentioned the problem to a guy at church who does a lot of computer/electronic/sound things. He said that the humming indicated that power was probably getting past the relay. He asked how hard I spun the fan--I told him I gave it a gentle push. He told me to give it a real spin. I did that and the whole thing started up.

Looks like the capacitor. I'll replace it tomorrow--try to keep from electocuting myself!

Thanks for the information on the forum and responding. It's great having it here!