RUDD Heat Pump with EM Heat

Old 12-18-04, 08:06 AM
Daviddean
Visiting Guest
Question RUDD Heat Pump with EM Heat

I have a RUDD Heat Pump with Emergency Electric Heat. I think its 2 stage cause on demand it kicks into AUX hi on the Honeywell thermostat I have.

When in the heat pump mode the unit work fine until it goes into defrost mode and then cold air blows out till it goes out of that mode. I though it was supposed to turn the heating elemnts on?

When I switch it to EM, all I am getting is cold air blowing feeling but I put a guage on the vent and it shows 70 degrees and in the duct at the air handler.

I have had this unit for about a 1 1/2 years and it has never worked right. I thought it might be the wiring at the thermostat or maybe not all the wires are hooked up or are in the wrong place.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Old 12-18-04, 08:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You will have to take the stat off the wall and make note of what's hooked where and what's available. Then go to the airhandler and remove the front panel and make note there on the low voltage terminal strip what is hooked up to what. Then post that info back.

While you're in the airhandler check for any reset buttons near rthe heat package and check your breakers.

Old 12-18-04, 02:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

With Matt there.Might look and see just how much Kw or stip heaters you have and if all are working. If wired right the strips should come on when you go to defrost as that is the same as the AC running and you need them to like kill the cold air. Also think like this the tstat turns the heatpump on If it cant keep up and there is a 2o drop in temp then the strip heater should kick in. Is the big copper pipe at the inside coil hot??? And is the filter clean and coil clean inside .

Ed

Old 12-19-04, 12:50 PM
if no strips in defrost OR emergency heat, i would look at either the strips themselves or the contactor/relay that controls them

Old 12-19-04, 05:18 PM
Daviddean
Visiting Guest
I verified that the wires are all connected on the stat and at the unit. My unit by the way is a RUDD model UBHK-24J18SFA. the heater total is 13.2/17.5 KW . I read something about the Purple wire in the inside circuit board should be connected to the purple wire of the outside unit for the heat strips to come on when in defrost. The inside unit circuit board purple wire just has a orange wire cap on it. The outdoor unit purple wire is connected on the circuit board under W2. ( Its is actually a white wire and changed to purple in the outdoor unit) There is another white wire connected there also which runs back to the Stat W2 .

When I looked at the Inside Unit circuit board I noticed no wires on W1

I will recap whats connected below.

Honeywell Circuit brd
STAT INSIDE OUTSIDE
Blue(B) Y Y Y
Red (R) Y Y Y
Brown(C) Y Y Y
White(W2) Y Y Y but wire capped to Purple
Yellow(Y) Y brdgd W1 Y Y
Green (G) Y Y N
Orange(O) N N N

I hope this can help.
Thanks, David

Old 12-20-04, 09:36 PM
Daviddean
Visiting Guest
Besides the connections above, I have also walked out and felt the coper pipe and it was getting hot. When I turn it to EM I still dont feel any heat. I went looking for a reset switch in the air handler but have yet to find one.

Any help is much appreciated.

Old 12-20-04, 10:25 PM
I am lost on that purple wire....

Can you take a pix of the control board for us? Also if you can get one for the t-stat, and outdoor unit where the low voltage hooks up.

Old 12-21-04, 05:11 AM
If you trace back the low voltage wire from the heat package one will be a common "or ground" it may just go straight to the transformer. The other one will be the hot wire. Where does it go?? I've seen where people will unhook the auxillary heat to keep from running the electric heat.

Can you decipher the schematic on the airhandler door to tell how the purple wire should be hooked up?

I'll bet you a quarter that purple wire goes to the heat package and needs hooked up to the one going to W2 and the outdoor units purple.

Old 12-22-04, 05:58 PM
Daviddean
Visiting Guest
Mattison, I thought about hooking the Air Handler purple wire up to the outside purple. Should I hook it those wires to W2 on the Air Handler circuit board or do I need a wire to go to the stat W2 terminal ?

I took some pictures. How do I post them for you to see ?

Thanks Again
,David

Old 12-22-04, 09:55 PM
YOu can e mail them to me.. This web sight doesn't allow pix posted here anymore.

jaymarking at charter dot net

Old 12-23-04, 07:25 AM
Daviddean
Visiting Guest
I found a book which gave me the wiring diagram. I traced the wires and found that the White and yellow were wrong. what should have been connected to the stat was connected to the outside unit. Its working now on the EM. I havent tested the heat pump defrost.

Is there a way to throw the outside unit into defrost to test it ?

I was reading the book and it said that E and W2 should have a jumper between them so that the electronic heat control will transfer to the first stage heat on the stat. It says it will allow the inside blower to cycle on and off when the fan is in the auto mode. Do I need to do this? I'm using a Honeywell stat

Thanks again for your help.

Old 12-23-04, 01:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

My books show a jumper from E to W2 there on the tstat. you said O and also B . You should only need one

ED

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: