Heat Pump Wiring and new thermostat

Old 12-19-04, 04:00 PM
Brutus
Visiting Guest
Heat Pump Wiring and new thermostat

Help - Struggling. . .

I have a new digital thermostat on my 1991 Weatherking Heat Pump. The thing worked fine for the warmer weather in AC mode but it failed to work with the heat. I think it is a wiring issue as the heat says it is kicking on but then after a few seconds the fan shuts off (and it seems to be pumping cold air).

The stat is a Honeywell and is designed to be programmed for a heat pump or for a conventional system.

Thank you in advance, Bill

Last edited by Brutus; 12-19-04 at 04:10 PM.
Old 12-19-04, 07:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did you check to make sure it's been set to work for heat pump?

What is the model? Did you double check the wires to make sure all of them are hooke dup right?

Old 12-19-04, 07:54 PM
Brutus
Visiting Guest
I did set it up for Heat Pump, it;s a HOneywell RTH 4700 and I programmed it for single stage heat.

The wiring is at question , I'm in an old house and things are many times jury rigged.

Old 12-20-04, 05:35 AM
You need to post what's hooked to what on the stat and what's available then also post what's hooked to what on the airhandlers terminal strip and what's available there.

Old 12-20-04, 10:33 AM
Brutus
Visiting Guest
Thermostat wiring

It's a Honeywell Unit and I was able to get the heat pumping although in a round-about way.

Here's the current wiring:

R RC - Jumper with R
B- O/B
G- G
Y- Y
Br - free
Wh - free

To get the heat working at least for the short term (the kids are freezing this morning) I've jumpered the Y, B and G to the R. Although this is not ideal it does get the house warmed a bit and also demonstrates that it is a thermostat problem and not a system problem (I think - anyway).

As a note- I have no auxilery heat (in Tampa no big deal) on my single stage unit and the available settings in addition to those above are:

C, Aux, E, L and RC (currently jumpered with R)

Thanks, Bill

Old 12-20-04, 10:46 AM
Your h/p should have came on the way you had it hooked up. I would double check the paperwork with the stat and make sure you don't have anything set-up wrong. Do you still have your old stat??

Old 12-20-04, 11:30 AM
Brutus
Visiting Guest
Old Stat

Unfortunately no. I put the model on a couple of months ago and it worked perfectly for the AC side, the heat wasn't needed until recently and so I didn't need any adjustments and subsequently tossed the old stat.

The house is old and has many jury-rigged systems, but the wiring on the old thermostat was very straight-forward. 6-wires, G on G, Y on Y, W on W, B on B, R on R and a brown wire that I believe was hooked up but I have no recolection and the instructions said to disregard any extra wires.

I followed the instructions pretty closely which is why I believe there may be a wiring change somewhere.

Thanks, Bill

Old 12-20-04, 07:24 PM
On your new stat, see if it has a jumper "pin" switch to energize b/o on a call for heat.

Old 12-20-04, 09:13 PM
Brutus
Visiting Guest
The only pre-installed jumper was on the R - RC section, apart forn that it was just trying to get any heat rolling.

Bill

Old 12-25-04, 11:55 PM
coldmechanic
Visiting Guest
If it's a newer thermostat, the advanced setup options dictate what outputs are enabled for various types of units. On Honeywell's stats the options are most often found by pressing a combination of keys until the setup options menu appears. Consult with your literature for the following options: 1) Gas/Electric Heat - Set for electric. 2) Heat pump - ON 3) O/B set for O

That should fix it.

I'm not finding that stat model number. I did find a T4700 but that's obviously not your stat. Can you recheck that model number??

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: