Condenser fan won't run

Old 12-22-04, 03:16 PM
radams2
Visiting Guest
Condenser fan won't run

New to this board - looking for help. Two Carrier units, one works fine, one just quit. Ckt breakers OK. Fan in air handler in attic runs, but outside unit only dlicks (once, when tstat is turned on) Same thing (one click, only whether heat or A/C is tried. Fan motor?

Any help is appreciated.

Old 12-22-04, 03:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you hear the compressor kick in? Or you just hear the click, and nothing else for sound?

If just click (The contactor), sounds like it's not getting power. Check your disconnect swithc near the unit, and also on your main panel in the home/garage. Make sure it's not triped or blown fuse.

Fi you have a meter, check to make sure you are getting full 220volts at the contator in the unit.

Old 12-22-04, 04:54 PM
radams2
Visiting Guest
No, I don't hear the compressor, just a click - sounds like a solenoid or switch of some sort. I've checked the circuit breaker and it's not tripped; the fuses (two of them) at the disconnect look fine - would they not be discolored if blown?

Thanks

Old 12-22-04, 06:32 PM
sounds like you may be hearing the reversing valve solenoid engaging, unit could be held out on low pressure switch, high pressure, bad capacitor (is it swollen?) or possibly no line voltage

carrier is "fail safe heat" and solenoid on rev valve energizes in cool, so see if you can locate what is clicking

Old 12-22-04, 06:53 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a 1998 Carrier heatpump. I am definitely not an HVAC tech.
The condenser fan motor control module under the motor has been going out about once a year, and I've had to replace these modules regularly. The last one lasted eight months. It seems that there is some kind of design flaw problem with them.
Carrier has replaced one or two. If the Carrier dealer HVAC tech installs them, they're good for a year for free part replacement. If I install them, they don't make the module good at all.
It's been such a problem for me with this damned Carrier system, that I keep an extra module anyway. They aren't hard to change out, but they're expensive. Might want to check that out.
radams2, you can't always tell if a fuse is bad by just looking at it. Remove it and check it with an ohm meter (hold the contacts on opposite ends) for continuity. No continuity, bad fuse.
Mike

Last edited by Mike Swearingen; 12-22-04 at 07:04 PM.
Old 12-22-04, 10:01 PM
I am with Mike, you can't just look at some of those "tube" style fuse.. You need to test them with a meter.

Old 12-23-04, 03:42 PM
radams2
Visiting Guest
Good call - it was the fuse! Warm, again, in Arizona. Thanks for the help.

Merry Christmas to you all, and Semper Fi, HVAC4U.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: