Ruud Achiever 10

Old 12-24-04, 11:30 AM
TopherS
Visiting Guest
Ruud Achiever 10

Our heat pump needs help and I don't know if it is something I can fix or if I should fork out the millions for a holiday service call....

We have a Ruud Achieve 10 outside unit. A couple nights ago, it was making a noise, sounded like a UFO was hovering above my home. I thought maybe the fan was off balance. It went away after about the 2nd night. Last night, I woke up and heard a "click" and then humming. I went outside and the fan was not spinning, but just humming. The center part of the top grille was warm. My assumption is that the motor burned out. I looked at the tstat and saw nothing out of the ordinary (Honeywell digital tstat). We still have heat, but I have noticed that since I got up at 4:30 this morning, that the heat hasn't yet turned off. The system is all electric, no gas...

Am I correct in that the motor burned out?
It is something that I can repair/replace myself?
If I need to have it repaired by a professional, is it something that can wait until Monday, to reduce the bill, or is it something that should get taken care of immediately?

Old 12-24-04, 11:56 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wink

Am I correct in that the motor burned out
Dont know. With the heat pump turn to on when the fan hums try and push it the way it spins . Now look out here. If it takes off and runs then it is just a capacitor on it get one just like it

It is something that I can repair/replace myself?
Yes if you can find the parts

If I need to have it repaired by a professional, is it something that can wait until Monday, to reduce the bill,
If you cant fix it just turn it over to AUX are Eme heat there .Dont run the out door unit.

ED Merry HO HO HO

Old 12-24-04, 06:26 PM
TopherS
Visiting Guest
Turned the fan blades manually and they turn freely, but does not "push start". They just turn until they stop (makes sense, don't it???).

Are parts able to be found at Lowes or Home Depot, or are they only found in the back of the servicemen's vans?

I did find the setting on the tstat for Em Heat. Is there a time frame I should stay within on using Em Heat? I'm looking at next week to either attempt repair or calling service...

Old 12-24-04, 08:07 PM
jimbo122655
Visiting Guest
I just read your situation. I am not a HVAC tech. but I can tell you from my experiences of heat pumps and their problems as I have been encountering them too. Emergency heat is your backup heat source. The only bad thing about using the so called Emergency heat is that your electric bill will be higher than using your heat pump. I am taking it that your furnace is electric strip? Just compare using your furnace (Emergency Heat) to electric baseboard. You can use it all winter long but a heat pump is less expensive to run. Hope this helps. Jim

Old 12-26-04, 11:36 AM
JWG
Visiting Guest
Having the same problem

Oddly enough, I have the identcal Rudd system, and am having the exact problem you are describing (the ufo noise and the fan died christmas night--thinking fan bearing). If you don't mind me asking, how did this work out for you and how much$$? I'm also thinking about doing the repair myself

Old 12-26-04, 05:48 PM
YOu won't find parts at HD or Lowes.

Be best to get it from a service company or a whole sales that does cash sales.

Old 12-26-04, 06:08 PM
Wink

So you have to go for a new condenser fan motor then. it is a DIY. Mark where all wires go or draw it out. Take the motor with you is the best bet. Get a new capacitor with it.
now make SURE YOU GET THE SAME SAME RPM Hp and it turns the same way CW or CCW.

ED

Old 12-26-04, 07:51 PM
JWG
Visiting Guest
Any clue if this application needs a drip-proof or totally enclosed motor? Will this be listed on the motor? Aside from that, HP, RPM, phase & voltage, is there anything else that needs to be matched?

Old 12-27-04, 12:25 AM
If you conclude that your fan motor needs replacing, "you would do this by confirming that it has voltage yet isn't running or it's acting crazy" just take it with you to the parts house and get an exact replacement.

Old 12-27-04, 04:49 PM
TopherS
Visiting Guest
Oddly enough, I have the identcal Rudd system, and am having the exact problem you are describing (the ufo noise and the fan died christmas night--thinking fan bearing). If you don't mind me asking, how did this work out for you and how much$$? I'm also thinking about doing the repair myself
It (so far) has been quite easy. If you remove the 4 screws holding the top grille down, you can lift it and the fan motor is attached to the underside of that grille. There are 4 screws that hold the motor to the grille and 2 more that attach the wire cover along the grille. You then need to remove the corner cover on the side of the unit to expose all the wiring. There are three wires (brown, black and orange) that you need to disconnect and you're done with removal.

I called around to some services and found that to have a service come out and replace it (and the capacitor, too...apparently that is standard procedure) was nearly $400. I found the motor at a couple of local (Portland, OR) service companies for $150. The problem is that I have been told that the "generic" fans won't work, as the OEM has the 4 mounting holes on the motor, so you might mention this to the companies you talk to.

Definitely mark where the wires came from, as there are lots of connections back there. I won't get my motor until tomorrow and I am starting to panic because I can't remember where the orange wire went

Old 12-27-04, 05:14 PM
Wink

Check out the wire schematicthere on the unit it should show you where the wire go.

ED

Old 12-27-04, 11:24 PM
TopherS
Visiting Guest
I looked at the schematic, however, it shows the orange passing by the capacitor and on to a component that says that it is optional. As well, I can't seem to match up the components on the schematic to the actual components in the unit. I think I might know where it went, but I don't know for sure, there are several unused connection locations that it could have been connected to...I will be inspecting them closely to see if I can see one with scrapemarks from where I removed it.

JWG - If you get a chance, could you describe where your orange wire is attached? Thanks in advance. CS

Old 12-29-04, 01:48 PM
bigjohn1
Visiting Guest
Horsepuckey- several universal replacement motors have the "Rheem" holes predrilled into the side of the motor housing. Search for Emerson Rescue Motors online.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: