Is this possible?

Old 12-24-04, 05:00 PM
jimbo122655
Visiting Guest
Question Is this possible?

I have a new question for a HVAC installer. Here it goes. I just found out that the hat pump I have is not large enough for the size it is trying to heat. It is a Ducane, 10 seers. The upastairs which I use this unit to heat and cool is approx. 1400 square feet. I have 10 register vents and 4 returns. Oh, I forgot, it is a 2 stage heat pump. My 1st floor (also approx. 1400 square feet) is heated with a gas furnace and works fine. My question for you is can I have a 2.5 ton or 3 ton heat pump installed (I would stay with the Ducane) using my existing furnace or would I have to have a new furnace installed too. My house is only 1 year old and I am blaming this error on the builder and HVAC installers. The one thing I have in my favor is that my home was just reassessed and went up $120,000.00 in one year so I could always say "sell" but I don't want to go through with capital gains and all. Thanks, Jim

Old 12-27-04, 03:29 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
error? did not get enough info to decipher that. what do you want? one system? dual fuel? heat pump can be "added" to furnace to make it dual fuel, if that is what you are asking

Old 12-28-04, 07:45 AM
Check what size blower you have in the airhandler. If you call a Ducane dealer with the modle # and ask they will tell you what size blower you have there for sure. You will have to have a new indoor coil installed with the new outdoor unit.

With your house only being 1 year old I would be on the builder to make it right.

Old 12-28-04, 02:26 PM
Who told you your system was too small? What does the builder say? You can install any system you want, but the builder needs to make this right IF it's really wrong. You might also be able to add some insulation to reduce the load and the need for heating capacity. The normal mistake a builder makes it to size a system too large. It's rare to see one sized too small.

Doug M.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: