Electric Baseboard Heating Wiring Question

Old 12-26-04, 10:21 PM
klehman2
Visiting Guest
Question Electric Baseboard Heating Wiring Question

When we bought our house there were two electric baseboard heating units as supplemental heat in the addition. It was summer time so we removed them so we could paint. My first new homeowners mistake was I took no notice of how they were wired. Here it is almost 6 months later and much colder and I am trying to re-install them and I cannot get them to work. I only know enough about electricity to hurt myself and I need some help.
I have two units, TPI Model CC2D20, one unit on each side of the room with one thermostat to run them both. There was only one side of each unit wired, and in that side there are two wires, both black, one runs throught the heating element and one runs along the top of the unit. I have what appears to be a 220 line running to both units, white plastic coating with a white, black and copper wires in them and the black wire is the hot one. I cannot get them to work. I know there is power to the units, I have tried all combinations of the four wires (the ground wire is obvious). Can I install only one? I have read about install more than one unit in series vs. parallel I don't know if these are wired this way, how would I be able to tell? Does anyone know where I could get the instructions for these online?
<- Me

Anyway, Thanks in advance for any suggestions, if you need more information feel free to ask.
Thanks
-Ken

Old 12-27-04, 08:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Electric baseboards needs 220v to run..

Do you still have the line voltage t-stat on the wall?

I take it you have removed the baseboard on the wall to paint.

Do you have a meter to make sure you have 220v going from the wire in the wall that ties to the boaseboard unit?

With 220, it don't matter what side is wired.. both wires are hot 110v, only just make sure copper/ground wires are tied together.

Old 12-27-04, 12:51 PM
klehman2
Visiting Guest
I checked the Home inspection report and verified that the baseboard heating units were/are 220. The thermostat is still on the wall, I have not touched that and I am hoping that I do not have to. I don't have a volt meter but, and I know I shouldn't assume things, I was going with the assumption that since everything worked before I removed it it should work now if I can figure out how to hook it up right.

I'm am a little confused about
"With 220, it don't matter what side is wired.. both wires are hot 110v, only just make sure copper/ground wires are tied together."
There is only one ground wire coming out of the wall and I screwed that back to the same grounding point I removed it from. Then coming from the wall there is a black wire and a white wire, in the unit there is a black wire coming out of the heating element and a black wire that runs along the bottom of the heating unit.

I read on another forum thread that one of the wires is not used, is this true? Was that refering to one of the wires from the wall or in the unit?

Thanks again for any help
-Ken

Old 12-27-04, 09:21 PM
Ken, when you take a reading on the wires coming out of the wall to ground. one wire to ground will read 110v, other wire to ground will read 110v, both wires will read 220v.

So it don't matter what wires goes to where.. the other black wire that runs on the bottom is feeding the other side of the heating eleament.

Old 12-28-04, 07:15 AM
klehman2
Visiting Guest
Ok, based on that information I went home and paired up the wires on both units this time and cranked up the heat and they work like a champ. I would swear that I had tried that before but who knows. Anyway, thanks Jay11J for all the help, it's great being warm again.

Old 12-28-04, 10:52 AM
Glad to see your up and running and getting warm! :-)

Thanks for the update.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: