Problems switching from aux heat back to norm

Old 12-27-04, 11:26 AM
kcpingman
Visiting Guest
Problems switching from aux heat back to norm

I'm having trouble with a 15+ year old Janitrol/Goodman heat pump. The aux. heat works fine and everything cycles correctly. When the outside temp rises and I switch back to normal heat pump operation the outside unit will not run. Having the thermostat set to normal, with outside temps above 35, the aux. heat (gas) will cycle on and the blower motor will stay on after the aux. heat has shut off. I have had a problem in the past of the blower motor staying on regardless if the switch is in the Auto position. The heat pump was working correctly until the outside temp dropped below 20 and I manually switched over to aux. heat. I don't see a reset button on the outside unit. The thermostat is old with mercury temp. switches. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Old 12-27-04, 11:35 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

Its like you have two things to look at here. The blower stays on that can be the blower relay in the unit. Are is the coil clean and the filter clean. With gas back up dont you have a outside tstat that turns the gas on when it get colder or goes to the heatpump as it warm up. Is that ok.

ED

Old 12-27-04, 11:54 AM
kcpingman
Visiting Guest
You are correct on the outside thermostat and it seemed to cycle the gas on correctly at nite when the temp dropped. Then I noticed when it got below approx. 20 one day that the blower was on constantly and the temp in the house continued to drop. Clicked over to aux heat, blower motor stopped immediately, and the gas aux heat cycled correctly. I agree that the blower motor relay is probably going out. Would this prevent the heat pump from working correctly? Thanks again.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: