Coolant Squeal?

Old 12-29-04, 04:27 PM
PSC
Visiting Guest
Coolant Squeal?

I'm having some problems with my Rheem heat pump. Basically, there is a loud squeal when the heat turns on. I don't think it's a problem with the fan because the fan can be running continuously, and the squeal only occurs when the heating element is engaged. I have inspected the fan and inside heat exchanger, and both are clean and mostly dust free. Also, it does not happen if the heat comes on soon enough after being shut off. There is a slight gurgling noise coming from the plumbing when the heat shuts off. There is no noise when the unit is cooling.

The unit heats and cools well enough, but the squeal is loud enough to wake me up at night. I suspect something with the coolant like air in the system or something like that. Any ideas?

Later.

Old 12-30-04, 08:06 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If the noise is in the refrigerant lines while the outdoor unit is running in heat pump mode then you could be low on charge meaning you have a leak or it was never charged properly in the 1st place. You will need a pro to check this out.

The gurgling sound , you say is coming from the plumbing. Is this the condensate line "PVC" or is it the copper refrigerant line??

Can you try to isolate the noises to exactly where they are coming from??

Old 12-30-04, 07:23 PM
PSC
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the reply. Is this a common problem? The noise is definitey coming from the copper lines. I can feel them vibrate.

How much should I expect to pay for an expert to find the problem and correct it?

Later.

Old 12-31-04, 08:56 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It's hard telling what they will charge you.

Does it stop squealing after the heatpump runs for a minute or two?

Old 12-31-04, 02:16 PM
PSC
Visiting Guest
The squeal stops after a few seconds.

Later.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: