Faulty blower switch/relay?

Old 12-30-04, 08:01 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Faulty blower switch/relay?

I have a Trane TWJ730 heat pump (2.5ton), TWV736 air handler (3ton), BAYSTAT239 thermostat, and BAY96x1410 auxiliary heater. All were installed in 1991.

The system heats and cools without any problem. However, I sometimes hear a LOT of clicking noise from what I assume is the furnace fan switch/relay, and often it seems that the fan continues to operate long after the heat pump has shut off (not just a few minutes as I have heard is normal). Recently, as it has been anywhere between 15-40degF here in Maryland, the heat pump is operating frequently (thermostat is set at 65degF), but I feel as if the fan has been on for days nonstop.

Does this sound like a problem, or is it just normal operation? Perhaps the length of time the fan runs on is a function of how long the compressor was on?

-Randy
Potomac, MD

Old 12-30-04, 08:06 AM
I have not been around many heat pump here. but I am guessing being as cold it has been, the clicking maybe the aux heater kicking in and out as needed to keep the temp?

Otherwise someone else here can answere it for you.

Old 12-30-04, 08:14 AM
The colder it gets the more the heat pump will cycle. If it's only off for a few minutes then back on and the t-stat is never satisfied then you have a problem.

The indoor blower running forever could very well be a relay sticking. When the blower is running to long turn the stat to off and see if the blower stops.

Old 12-30-04, 08:40 AM
R
I think that the heat pump cycles on and off properly; there is what seems to be a good amount of time between cycles.

The thermostat does not have an "OFF" setting. The fan options are AUTO (fan turns on when the pump turns on) and ON (fan is on regardless of heat pump status). The heat pump options are HEAT and COOL. No general ON/OFF switch, unfortunately.

Is there a normal amount of time that the fan should remain on after the pump shuts off?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: