blows cold air, blocked air intake in cold room

Old 01-06-05, 08:06 PM
karma66
Visiting Guest
blows cold air, blocked air intake in cold room

I've posted here before, everyone is so helpful thought i would post another question. We purchased a Frigidaire heat pump unit, live on Vancouver Island, 1500 sq foot home, 10 seer 2 ton heat pump installed and contractor came back and removed our wood furnace and installed an air exchange handler. This is installed in our laundry room which is not heated and is quite cold, has a drafty dog door in it. Our heat pump seems to blow non stop and blows cool air. Checked out the internet and found a website that said if the unit is getting cold air through an intake that it could affect the performance of the unit and it may blow cooler air. There is an intake in this drafty cold room so i have blocked it off (yep, used saran wrap and duct tape as a temporary solution). There are two other intakes in our home in more well heated areas. Will this affect the performance of the heat pump? will it help keep it warmer if i keep that cold air intake blocked off (still leaving two other intakes operating in warmer areas of the home) or are you sitting there thinking "oh my, what has she done? what was she thinking?? saran wrap and duct tape? Yikes!" Thank you so much for your feedback!
karma66

Old 01-08-05, 04:02 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It may help, but you may of cut off the amout of air the system may need to move air in the home..

How big is this return duct in the wash room?

How big are they in the other rooms?

how cold is the wash room?? Don't want it go get down 32, or the water pipes will freeze.

Where is the air to air system tied up to? and where it's pulling it from?

Old 01-08-05, 04:16 PM
Wink

Kind of lost here . If you have a return air grill in this cold room with a dog door why is there no heat outlet in there with the return? Does the duct work out there on the unit have insulation on it?
Post b ack let us know just what all you have

ED

Old 01-08-05, 09:52 PM
karma66
Visiting Guest
link to picture re:covered intake grill

please bear with me, i have no knowledge of heat pumps or the proper terms. The unit is in our laundry room that is not heated. We have a sliding door that we close off this room to the rest of the home. As we're on Vancouver Island, the weather is generally mild (except for this weekend of course, we got a huge dump of snow!!!, just got our power back after 12 hours! brrr) The room previously housed our wood furnace that we used to use to heat our home until we thought we would prefer a heat pump, so the wood furnace used to keep the laundry room toasty warm. So now the installer, after a not so wonderful experience, has installed an electric air handler and removed our wood furnace. We have an intake grill in each hall way, the ducting from the far end of the house hallway is (i believe)insulated. We also have an intake grill in the hall way on the other side of the wall of the unit. Then, when they installed the air handler, the ducting put in there has an intake grill as well. I have a picture of the set up (hopefully) at http://img159.exs.cx/img159/5928/hpim03159em.jpg. The ducting above the air handler is the former wood furnace ducting. You can see on the left hand side my handy dandy duct tape job and just on the other side of that wall is the other intake grill which is in the heated part of the home and feeds in to the ducting. The ducting inside the laundry room isn't insulated, should we insulate it?
Thank you so much for your patience and help, very much appreciated!!

Old 01-09-05, 07:09 AM
On the left hand side of the return drop I see what appears to be something black. Is that anothe penetration into the room next to the laundry room?

If you get a stick thermometer like what you use for meat, and drill a small hole just big enough for the probe to fit in just above the air handler in the supply duct and another over in the return duct . Take a temp reading at both points while it's running in heat mode and post the results. You're probably fine though.

Old 01-09-05, 07:59 AM
I am with Matt. I think you should be ok.. Looks like the return that goes into the wall is large enough.

I see the air filter sitting on the floor.... Is there one in the air handler? (looks like the pump is right in front of it.) If that what you use, I suggest your not to use those.. Just use a regular pleated throw aways.

The larger copper line that goes to the air handler, is that hot when you touch it?

FIY, The heat pump isn't going to throw out alot of hot air like your old wood furnace did.

Since you said your power been out for 12 hours, the house is cold, and will take awhile for it to recover. Also, do you have electric back up heat strip?

Old 01-09-05, 03:20 PM
Wink

if you are going to use that room out there now and have water out there. You should put a small register there right in the plenum above the unit. Also a small grill return down by the floor in the cold air return. Id have then come back and put insulation on that big copper pipre there that is bare. if they dont you will have water all over the floor when you turn on the AC. the duct work looks good. I dont see a P trap in the drain line there. Do they have one under the floor??? You have to have one on that unit or it will suck and hold the water in the drain pan and run all over the floor if you dont. Good picture .

ED

Old 01-09-05, 07:40 PM
Ed,

There is a condensate pump on the floor.. I agree, there is no trap there..

Karma,

There should be a trap on the white pvc line coming from the air handler to the pump. Reason is that the coil is on the "negative" side of the air flow. When the air handler is running in cooling mode, the water from the coil needs to drain out.. But with out the trap, the air is going to be sucked into the line, and not letting the water run out.

I would move the pump/drain line over to the left about 6" or so, that way you can pull the filter out when you change it. Other wise, the line is in the way.... or how or where is the filter changed?

Old 01-13-05, 08:15 PM
karma66
Visiting Guest
Thank you for your help

Thank you all for your help! The installer is coming back out (yet again ) to put a register in the laundry room and to Hopefully! move the thermostat from where it was installed (directly below a vent) to somewhere else.
Thanks everyone!!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: