Heat strips tripping breaker ...

Old 01-07-05, 12:59 PM
skymaster
Visiting Guest
Heat strips tripping breaker ...

Hi!

It's a Goodman A32-10 (model number on air handler) w a 10kw strip on a double 60 amp breaker.

The system has worked great for 6 years so it's not a new install or rewire. Breaker trips overnight. In the morning, I reset the breaker only for it to trip again in 2 - 7 minutes.

I can bump up the thermostat request a degree at a time (it's digital) to prevent the heat strips from kicking in and get the house warm in a few hours. Occasionally the breaker trips during the defrost cycle though. If I switch manually to emergency heat I get a few seconds of nice warm air and then the breaker trips again.

I pulled the heat strip and cleaned a little attic insulation from the coils but it still trips the breaker. It is in good shape visually (nothing is rusty, corroded, broken).

Is this a sign of a strip gone bad?
Could it be the little thermostats on the strip?
bad breaker?

Thank you for your ideas!

Old 01-08-05, 04:06 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wink

ID start and check out each heater strip and see if they are ok first
I pulled the heat strip and cleaned a little attic insulation from the coils but it still trips the breaker. It is in good shape visually
do they touch any where in there. can be a breaker .But Id check with and amprobe first and see what they draw
If you found this how is the coil ? Does it have insulation in it?

ED

Old 01-12-05, 01:54 PM
skymaster
Visiting Guest
Nothing is touching. The coil looks free of insulation.

I don't have an amprobe. Is there an inexpensive brand you could recommend?

thanks!

Old 01-12-05, 08:39 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
For home use any of the ones here will work fine http://doityourself.com/store/circui...agetesters.htm or if you don't want to order one, a few inexpensive brands that will do fine are UEI, Sperry, Amprobe. If you want to spend a few bucks geta Fluke or Fieldpiece.

I would start looking for loose electrical connections. Also make sure the filter is clean.

Old 01-14-05, 09:50 PM
skymaster
Visiting Guest
It's working ok again. I didn't do anything. It's not as cold at night as it was.
Maybe that has something to do with it.

No loose connections and the filter is clean. I'll try to get an amprobe and post back if it starts tripping again.

Thanks for the recommendations!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: