Need help installing programmable thermostat

Old 01-08-05, 12:48 PM
Dawlmesh
Visiting Guest
Need help installing programmable thermostat

Need help installing programmable baseboard thermostat 01/08/05. Honeywell T4700B

I took out the old thermostat & now have a small problem with putting on the new one. Three cables come into the wall box for the control, each cable has three wires. The old thermostat had black wires from two cables pigtailed to a black wire in the back of the control. The third black wire was wire nutted to a red wire in the back of the control. White & bare copper wires from each cable are wire nutted together.

The new programmable thermostat has two black & two red wires coming out of the back. The reds are labeled "T1" & "T2". The black ones are "L2" & "L1".

No other heaters are on the circuit (though I would like to change that).

I'm confused which wires coming from the wall to attach to which wires on the thermostat.

I have a .jpg file that is a detailed diagram of my problem. e-mail me if that will help you understand what my problem is (with the thermostat)

Eric

Old 01-08-05, 03:58 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The hot wire from the wall goes to L1 and L2, then the T1 and T2 goes to the base board heater..

Go ahead and e mail me the drawing/pix of your set up..

jaymarking at charter dot net.

Old 01-09-05, 07:34 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I got your e mail, I did reply to it as the same I wrote here...

Hello,

I'll label the wires as follow.

Right, #1
Middle #2
Left #3

I am guessing wire #3 is the main power line, and #1 and 2 goes to your baseboard. If you do have a meter, check wire #3 to make sure that is hot (220volts)

White from #3 goes to L1
Black from #3 goes to L2

White from #1 and 2 goes to T1
Black from #1 and 2 goes to T2

You're maybe wondering why the extra wire on the t-stat?

Your old one is a single pole, where the new one is a double pole.

With the single pole, only half of the power is "killed".. on the double pole, both lines are "killed" when there is no call for heat..

Not sure what your old one was, but with this new one, You'll feel the comfort. Lot of the older ones they had a very high temp swing.. Say if you set it at 68, it may not kick in till it's 65, and turn off at 71.

I had something like this in our apt before we moved into our house, the t-stat at the apt was bad.. I brought a better one, and the apt felt much better, and our light bill was less!

Go ahead and write back if you have any questions.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: