Heat Pump Problem

Old 01-09-05, 05:45 PM
Tacoma9900
Visiting Guest
Heat Pump Problem

Last Thursday evening (and again last night), I noticed a weird noise coming from outside (the HP). The fan kept cutting on and off. The intervals started getting less and less whereas the the fan wouldn't cut on - it started making loud clicking noises that got faster and faster. Afraid that the unit may tear up (explode ), I turned the tstat off for a few minutes. On Thursday, the issue seemed to go away when I turned the tstat back on. However, last night the fan cutting on and off happened again when I turned the tstat on. I waited it out and the unit appeared to be working fine. During the night I woke up a few times and each time the fan was running. It was also cooler than normal. When I got out of bed this morning, the fan was still running (inside and outside). It was set to AUTO. When the AUX light was on, warm air was blowing out of the registers and when the light was off cool air was blowing. The unit has worked fine this fall and winter until today. Any ideas? I have seen short-cycling mentioned on a few websites.

Old 01-10-05, 11:17 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Something was deffinitly interupting power to the contactor it sounds. Short cycling like that may have damaged the compressor. You could kill the power to the outdoor unit and do a visual to see if any wires or connection are obviously bad, but it sounds like your gonna need a tech to physically look at it.

Do you have and know how to use a multi-meter?

Old 01-10-05, 05:17 PM
Tacoma9900
Visiting Guest
I had a tech look at the unit this afternoon. He stated that there was a leak in the compressor coil causing low pressure in the unit. He said he could add 3lbs. but it may not last long (a few days, a few months, or maybe a year) and that I would need to replace the unit since it is not fixable. I bought the house at the end of September but obviously the inspector did not see it. (My parents were here when the tech came and they said that there was a definite oil leak with the unit.) At any rate, the unit is working fine right now since he added the R-22 and, needless to say, I am keeping my fingers crossed that I can get through a few months.

Old 01-11-05, 02:38 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wink

Lost here..... Why cant he find and fix the leak. Did the fan hit anything???

ED

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: