Heat pump brands/reliability?

Old 01-15-05, 07:49 AM
meniland
Visiting Guest
Heat pump brands/reliability?

I am in the process of relacing my 2.5 ton furdown unit to probably a 3.5 ton heat pump. After getting many estimates, my question is: which brand is the most reliable?? I've had Trane, Carrier, Goodman and Tappan all suggested.
Any opinions??
Thanks in advance,
Mark

P.S. I live in North Texas, if that needs to be taken into consideration!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-05, 08:22 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
My 1st question is why are you going from a 2.5 to a 3.5? Did the contactors do a heat load/loss calculation on the home?

Trane and carrier are both excellent units Goodman has gotten alot better over the years and in my opinion don't make a bad unit but I place it it mid-range. Tappon seems to be okay also.

The most important thing in longevity of the unit will be a quality install and maintenance. So check up on the contractors and see who your friends and neighbors are happy with.

Old 01-15-05, 11:36 AM
meniland
Visiting Guest
The reason for the upgrade is that there was anaddition built onto the house-abt.40'x15'- that I have recently converted into seperate bedrooms. Heat/air were never installed.

Old 01-15-05, 12:29 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wink

Sounds like you got the 3 bid we always say be sure and get. I like Trane , Rheem and Lenox. They have been real good for us. I will go this way. What ever the guy sells that has been there for a long long time is the one to go for. he know the units and should have parts for them on the truck if need be. The Trane XL16i is a good one. Seer of 17.00 and a HSPF 10.55 The R-22 units are going out ,and we have to go over to R410a freon. But they will make R22 till the year 2030 and you can get parts for them also. So stay with R-22 for now .

ED

Old 01-19-05, 08:57 AM
Rbarker
Visiting Guest
I have two RUUD 2.5 ton Heat Pumps that I put in my house in 1986. They have worked great. I had to replace one compressor in that time. They are very simple to work on and seem to do a good job keeping us warm. I live in Central Arkansas so our temperatures are about like yours probably.