Lenox or Carrier?

Old 02-06-05, 12:02 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Lenox or Carrier?

If the problem I am having with my heat pump turns out to be the RV valve I am going to give some serious thought to buying a new unit instead of putting $600.00 plus into the one I have now.

I did a search and it seems the two top rated HP's are the Lenox HPX19 with a SEER of 18.6 and a HSPF of 9.35.
The Carrier 38YDB03730 has a SEER of 17.0 and HSPF of 9.5

Which one of these units would you guys choose and why?
I have no idea what they cost, a search turns up "0"!
Changeling

Old 02-06-05, 12:28 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

Id have to go with Trane and Lennox as the top ones but you are after the heat pump so the best is Trane . Check out the XL16i it will give you a Seer of 17.00 and a HSPF of 10.55. Still say if you are going to be in the home 10 years go DXGeo.

ED

Old 02-06-05, 01:23 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Lennox or Carrier?

None of the above. May as well include Trane in that group too. They are all sold exclusively thru "authorized dealers". This means several things, including but not limited to: Expensive parts, very limited choice of service companies, a lot of propritary (sp?) parts. Unless you live in an area where there are several dealers of the brand of equipment you intend to buy, I would carefully consider something else.

Old 02-06-05, 04:50 PM
Personally if I were to choose a air to air heatpump it would be a Trane.
2TWR20_ _ Series heatpump matched with a variable speed air handler.
This gives 13 SEER anything above this and you get into 410A refrigerant that is very expensive.
But if it were to be in a home that I was going to keep for years than I would go Geothermal.

Lennox is a good second choice but what Grady said is true about Lennox Dealers having the market on repairs and parts.

Carrier well Carrier stopped putting Filter driers in the refrigerant circuit about ten years ago and since then they have been going down hill ever since. They were on of the last manufactures to offer a five year parts warranty.

Old 02-07-05, 12:26 PM
C
Very interesting.

My original HP was Carrier, that is why the indoor unit is Carrier (outdoor is RUDD). 20 years ago carrier was "Crap". compressors were $900.00 plus installation while everyone else was from $500 to 600.00.
I know nothing about "Trane" what soever, do they have copper coils?? This is important to me. I have seen to many friends with aluminum coils that could never be realistically fixed after a coil was broke or sprung a leak. I will "never" buy any unit with aluminum coils!!
Grady, you are right. I emailed a company for a price on Lennox. Only way they will give me one is if i let them do the installation. They also told me that I couldn't install just the outside unit, it had to be matched to the inside unit! Is this true?? This is important!
Geothermal, still waiting for information from a couple of sources. However, $15,000 Plus is a hell of a lot of money, and I'm not convinced it would be cost effective! In my area labor will absolutely "Eat you alive" , also, who in the hell knows where they will be in 10 years, LOL.
Ed, thanks for sticking with me through this mess. Eventually I will get things under control but right now it seem that I dig out 1 shovel full of dirt and someone else throws 2 in the hole, get my drift?
About the only good news I have had lately is I have about 9 months left on paying off my mortgage, and that my friends is one hell of a good feeling!

Anyone that wants to throw in a guesstimate of the cost of these system we discuss, would be extremely appreciated.

Changeling

Old 02-07-05, 01:16 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Changeling

To answer your question about matching the in & outdoor units: In order to get the rated performance out of ANY system, regardless of brand, you have to match components. I know I'm a nut, but that's ok, I know it & now everybody else does too. I am a firm believer in heating with a heating system & cooling with a cooling system. Expensive? Yes--Comfortable? Yes. Hot water heat (as many zones as you want) & 1 or more separate cooling systems. Now that I've ticked everybody off, I'll leave y'all alone for a while.

Old 02-08-05, 11:00 AM
C
Grady I don't believe anyone thinks you are crazy, in fact, I really appreciate your input. It helps me to get all the facts before making a decision.
Hell, you're worried about being called crazy, I know I am ! My father taught me the following: "There's nothing wrong with being crazy, but "ignorant/stupid" is a whole different matter", think about it!

I am wide open to suggestions as I stated in the beginning. I take it that you mean use the heat pump for cooling, which I do very little of and another source for heating. What kind of heat are you referring to that I can hook into my existing system? What would be the cost, rough estimate?
Changeling

Old 02-08-05, 02:32 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Changeling

It's no secret I'm particularly fond of boilers. If you have been happy with the heat pump over the years, that's fine & I see no reason to change. On the other hand, if you have not been happy, & to "salvage" as much of your existing equipment as possible then it's time for something else such as hydro-air.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: