Heat Pump Runs, Air Handler does not

Old 02-20-05, 12:48 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Heat Pump Runs, Air Handler does not

Looking for guidance on a problem. The basic info is, I have a 3 year old Ducane heat pump, not sure of the air handler, but it is about 14 years old. The thermostat in the house is an old 2 mercury switch analog unit.

When the temp (heating) drops below the thermostat, the outside unit kicks on (as it is supposed to do), however, the air handler does not (no air through the vents). When the emergency heat kicks on, the air handler follows suit (in other words, the air handler is working, just not kicking in with the heat pump).

I believe the problem to be a sticky contact, but have not gone into the air handler to check it out. Any other suggestions before I delve into the electrical world?

THanks,
Dave

Old 02-20-05, 01:05 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

If you jump R to G at the tstat do you get fan??? Also on the door of the unit should be a wire schematic inside go over it. Can be relay or fan wire from tstat. one other to look at blower motor speed?? one of the speeds dead????

can have lots of ifs here.

ED

Old 02-20-05, 01:16 PM
D
R to go no fan

I did the R to G and got no fan. The air handler seems to only come on when the emergency strips kick in. I thought I only had a one speed air handler, but then again, I am not an HVAC tech.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Dave

Old 02-20-05, 01:22 PM
Wink

If R to G no fan check wire then fan relay then motor for that speed .

ED

Old 02-20-05, 01:34 PM
D
I checked the brand, it s a Goodman air handler, but I can't read the model number. I will check the wiring and relay.

Thanks a bunch.

Dave

Old 02-20-05, 02:13 PM
D
Update: It is a 2 speed blower, but only one speed is connected at a time (according to the schematic inside the door). It looks like the Blower TDR is bad, should be cake to fix (if I can find one).

Thanks again

Old 02-20-05, 04:10 PM
Wink

Try on line http://www.heatcoolparts.com

Also Johnstone supply and Grainger.

ED

Old 02-20-05, 05:43 PM
D
While troubleshooting, I did determine it was the relay. While checking the voltages, I must have done something to jar it and get it to change positions because now the blower is on all the time (note, I did not connect or disconnect any wiring, I just checking voltages at the terminals). I did get the part number off the relay, so I should be able to find it.

Thanks

Old 02-22-05, 03:50 PM
This is a typical problem.
You can change out the control it is just a time delay relay.
If you can get the MARS brand they are put together better.

Old 02-23-05, 06:46 AM
D
Thanks to all that helped. Here is the status.

When the fan was on all the time, the low power electric strip was also on (I can explain if anyone wants to know why). I was unable to buy a replacement from any of the local distributors because I am not a licensed contractor (they fear liability issues... but there is no liability issue if I go to Lowes, buy a 60A breaker to replace a 15A breaker that is always popping... sounds like a racket to me). I did find a contractor that sold me a TD relay, but it was only a single pole vice a double pole (one set of contacts, close on energize, as opposed to 2 sets, one open on energize, the other close on energize, thus the heat strip issue).

To make a long story short, I used to single pole relay as a temporary fix and disconnected the low power heater bank to prevent it from coming on everytime the fan came on. We have heat and it does not look like it is going to get cold enough to require the heat strips any time soon.

I do plan on getting the correct relay this weekend (there is one place that will sell it to me, but they are 90 minutes away) or I could order it on the net.

Thanks for all you help,
Dave

Old 02-24-05, 06:42 PM
You posted

When the fan was on all the time, the low power electric strip was also on (I can explain if anyone wants to know why). I was unable to buy a replacement from any of the local distributors because I am not a licensed contractor (they fear liability issues... but there is no liability issue if I go to Lowes, buy a 60A breaker to replace a 15A breaker that is always popping... sounds like a racket to me). I did find a contractor that sold me a TD relay, but it was only a single pole vice a double pole (one set of contacts, close on energize, as opposed to 2 sets, one open on energize, the other close on energize, thus the heat strip issue).

Well when your house burns down because of the 60 amp breaker that you put in instead of the 15 amp one that is called for try to get the insurance company to cover your loss.
I don't think they will because you didn't go along with proper installation.

That is why parts are not readily sold to the public.
And it is not a racket. Just trying to keep you safe.

Old 02-25-05, 01:50 PM
D
My point was, it was a lousy reason to tell me (and I know it is not the real reason). I could not win a case against them for selling me a part I asked for any more than I could win a case against a do it yourself store for selling me a part. I would more readily accept the truth, they are distributors, not retailers and do not sell to the general public, end of story. I would not be happy, but it is better than the liability line, which is not true. Actually, using their point, had I been incompetent and my jury rig job (with a SPST relay rather than the SPDT) caused a fire, I would be able to pursue legall action because they refused to sell me the correct part.

I agree, there are a lot of people who should not be trusted doing things like this, a lot of them are licensed, but more are "Harry homeowners" such as myself. I have seen work done by licensed (not in the HVAC area) individuals that made my hair stand on end (like "grounding" a hot water heater to a copper pipe that ran between 2 cpvc pipes).

Anyhow, not to dwell on that frustration. It is fixed, I found a place that sold me the right part. This forum has been most helpful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: