Trane XL19I cost more to run than 10 SEER unit.

Old 04-09-05, 08:47 AM
marcg2
Visiting Guest
Trane XL19I cost more to run than 10 SEER unit.

I have a newly installed Trane XL19I 4 ton unit that replaced a 10SEER 3.5 ton system. A complete inside/outside changeout took place.Since this system has been installed in August 2004, my electric useage has increased as compared to a previous 5 year kwh average. Although it uses less electricity while running(my old outside unit pulled 16 amps, the new one pulls 7 amps at low speed and 14 on high speed, it is Tranes 2 compressor unit.) this unit runs non stop when the the outside temp is 45 degrees or less and will just cycle between the compressors. At low speed I get a 8 degree rise at 40 degrees outside temp. and 14 degree rise on high speed. Everything I have read about heat pumps including talking to the HVAC service guys at work, 17 - 22 is more normal at 40 degrees. After 3 service calls they found a defective inside expansion valve. After replacement, the temp deltas are the same. So is the constant running. I talked to another Trane dealer at a home show and he claims he gets 30 degree delta on low speed all the time. I would have him come out and look at my system but he wanted to change me for an $80 service call even though the I am under warranty. I may do that but I am tying to get ahold of Trane to see what they can do. Everything test good with the gages and the big line on the line set is almost too hot to touch. What is the correct temp deltas for this system? Anybody else out there with the same problem and what was done to resolve it? A high efficency unit should not cost more to run than a 10 seer unit. even with an extra 1/2 ton change.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-05, 03:48 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Warranty

Unless you bought the parts & labor warranty, warranties only cover parts. Parts & labor warranties often only cover labor thru the original seller. Read your warranty carefully. From the sound of things, I would bet you have an installation rather than an equipment problem.

Old 02-24-08, 04:36 PM
Hmmm interesting post AT. I am in CT and considering switching out my compressor for a heat pump. I do have a Trane air handler coupled with a Carrier compressor. The Trane unit seems to be well made so I would tend to agree with Grady that this is probably a bunch of dumb-asses that did the install.

Though I am leery of Trane because I don't know if American Standard still owns them or they sold the unit off to some investment firm for scrap.

Its problems like yours that make me continue to be an ardent DIYer even if my wife thinks I'm crazy.

Last edited by zoneout; 02-24-08 at 04:39 PM. Reason: Addition
Old 02-24-08, 05:35 PM
I have seen hundreds more systems that were screwed up by installers than bad from the factory. I understand how the manufacturer gets blamed because they are not there when the installer tries to explain to the customer why the system doesn't work. My frame of reference comes from installing a couple hundred heat pump or a/c systems and having warranty problems I can count on both hands. There is no room for installer modification of installation rules. I could start a new thread on this topic alone. Get 3 bids. Pick the lowest one and hope that the reason it it's the lowest isn't because they have short cuts to save time on the install. A systemisn't charged by delta T. It is charged by superheat or subcool and better yet by weighing in the refrigerant. I can guarantee that we won't be the cheapest price but we won't walk away from a problem either. And if I say you need 2.5 tons and you won't settle for less than 3, bye bye. If you know more than me, do it yourself.

Ken

Old 02-25-08, 02:39 PM
Wink

Im with Ken here for sure. if you read what was done here first.

After 3 service calls they found a defective inside expansion valve. After replacement, the temp deltas are the same.
That TXV valve they changed had not a thing to do with the heat pump. That would say how the AC coil works. If they where trying to get the heat pump working better . They should have worked on or changed the outside TXV valve . So what TXV valve did the change????

Old 03-02-08, 06:55 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Ive recently been doing some research on this whole heatpump thing .Everyone wants to tell you what seer a unit is and then talk about heat. SEER pertains to the cooling side hspf is whats important on the heating side.In all of my research ive found Hallowell's acadia to be hands down the most efficent. 14 seer 9.7 hspf .The unit requires no secondary heat and pulls 18.5 amps at fullcall they go onto say the unit has 115degree register temp at 37degrees below zero outdoor temp.

Old 03-02-08, 07:02 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
train sold to igersol and rand

Old 01-12-11, 12:45 PM
I also purchased the same unit to replace a 3.5 ton with a 5 ton and am having the same problem: much higher electric costs ever since it was installed in 2005. Has anyone heard of any comment from Trane or anything on how to lower the electric costs?

Old 01-12-11, 01:33 PM
If you replaced a 3.5 ton heat pump with a 5 ton, you would also need to verify proper airflow. Where did you put the extra 600 cfm? If nowhere, then the charge on the new heat pump can't be set right. One of the variables that affects proper charge is air over the indoor coil. An air filter can affect that and so can a poor duct system. That is one major problems geothermal heat pump installers are running into. What you need to find is a service company who uses National Comfort Institute procedures to verify total system performance. Typically we measure total system performance around 50% and with modifications can get it up to 90 or better. It isn't free thopugh. It is an investment. One you will have to make if you want the system to work properly and last 10 years or more.

Ken

Old 01-12-11, 08:38 PM
Originally Posted by Kra1st View Post
I also purchased the same unit to replace a 3.5 ton with a 5 ton and am having the same problem:
Why a huge jump in system size? Was a Manual-J done on the home to get this size? As Ken asked, was the duct redone?