R-22 versus Puron

Old 05-17-05, 09:14 AM
Laura1967
Visiting Guest
R-22 versus Puron

I keep seeing that most people like R22 versus the new puron. We're looking at buying a new heat pump inside and out, and all the sales people are telling me I'm better off with the new puron system. They say the freon will go sky high in price, and replacement parts too. For you guys who are in the know, but not trying to get my $$, why do you prefer the R22?

Thanks.

(I still have one electrician who I've used a few times in the past trying to convince me to repair this 16-year-old until instead of replace, even though he could replace)

Old 05-17-05, 10:24 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wink

For now Id go with R22 over the R410a. First R22 will still be made till 2030. All parts are like the same cost the units do the same thing just a higher PSI with the 410a. Right now the cost of the 410a is very very high,and I do mean high. Another point 410a is a blend of 2 freons that burn off at different temps. So if you have a leak in the system and you lost about 1/2 of the freon in it you have to have all the rest pulled out with a recovery unit and all new 410a put in as a liquid so its the right mix. Nobody yet will take that old 410a back. check this out
http://www.acoolflame.com/freon_r22_...efrigerant.htm

http://www.epa.gov/docs/ozone/title6/phaseout/hcfc.html

And the best is http://www.toad.net/~jsmeenen/freon.html

So read it all and go from there. If you are going to be in the home for a time get the unit with A high 14 or better SEER and high HSPF. 16 years old ----get all new now

ED

Old 05-17-05, 11:28 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Smile

This is my opinion about the R-22 vs Puron(R-410a) debate taken from previous posts.

I agree with Ed. Nothing is wrong with R-410a but at the present time, it is expensive compared to R-22. R-22 will be around a long time but it will get more expensive and R-410a will likely come down in price as this refrigerant becomes the standard and becomes plentiful. What is driving this situation is government dictates because R-410a is supposed to be more environmentally friendly. Some of the manufacturers charge more for R-410a equipment. It is my understanding that the pressure in the condensing units has to be rated higher to handle this refrigerant. To answer your question, R-22 is OK at this point in time. I would not pay more for Puron(R-410a) equipment nor would I make a decision on new HVAC equipment solely on the type of refrigerant. I think it is more important to be concerned about quality equipment than the type of refrigerant.

My opinion is that this issue of R-22 vs R-410a is getting overthought and beat to death at this point in time. Both products are tried and proven and will do the job. It is difficult to forecast what the price of these refrigerants will be in 3,5,10,15 years. Both refrigerants will be available and frankly in year 2005, I think it is ridiculous to make a decision on equipment based on this single issue. One product has been proven to cause ozone depletion and the other is supposed to be ozone friendly. Having said this, I commend to your attention the following website for additional information.

http://www.410a.com/

What is ozone?
Ozone is a type of molecule that is made of 3 connected oxygen atoms, which is written in scientific terms as O3. It is mostly found in the stratosphere, and absorbs harmful ultraviolet radiation that would otherwise find itís way down to us and cause a variety of problems for humans, animals, and plants. Stratospheric ozone is different from ground-level ozone, which contributes to smog in our cities.

How could CFCs and HCFCs affect the ozone layer?
Ozone is constantly being made in our atmosphere, mostly by collisions of oxygen molecules (O2) and oxygen atoms (O). Ozone is also constantly being destroyed by similar collisions between O3 molecules and O atoms, resulting in pairs of O2 molecules. In theory then, there is a balance between creation and destruction that results in a constant layer of ozone.

The full names for CFCs and HCFCs are Chlorofluorocarbons and Hydrochlorofluorocarbons. CFC molecules are made of chlorine, fluorine, and carbon, and HCFC molecules also have hydrogen atoms attached. The widely accepted theory of ozone depletion is that these molecules, once emitted to the atmosphere, eventually are broken down over long periods of time into their individual atoms. The chlorine atoms then react with the ozone and cause ozone destruction to happen faster than ozone creation.

Why is ozone depletion considered bad?
Because stratospheric ozone protects us from harmful ultraviolet rays, ozone depletion means people, animals and plants are all affected by these rays when the ozone layer fails to stop them. This may include:

Increases in skin cancers.
Increases in cataracts of the eyes which can result in loss of sight.
Reduction in the yields of important food crops, according to some scientists.
Why canít R-410A affect the ozone layer?
R-410A is not a CFC or an HCFC. It is called an HFC, or hydrofluorocarbon, and is made of hydrogen, fluorine, and carbon atoms. Because it has no chlorine, it wonít interact with the ozone layer once it breaks down.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: