thermostat/heat pump control board wiring

Old 06-05-05, 01:16 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
thermostat/heat pump control board wiring

This past winter, my landlord's mechanical contractor come to the house and took care of a no-heat condition. He found that the critters had chewed through some of the thermostat-to-control board wires in the attic of the house. He also removed the fossil fuels controller (the heat pump uses propane for emergency heat), disabled the heat pump's heat function and made the emergency heat the only available means of heating. In the process, I suspect he un-wired the cooling side of the board. Here's the rundown...
The system uses a York outside unit, a Gibson inside unit with a Nordyne control board switched by a York/Borg Warner thermostat. The thermostat has seven wire terminals (R,G,Y,B,O,W and X), each with the correct colored wire connected (brown to X).The control board has only five terminals (R,C,Y,G and W). Right now, there are wires only on R (red), G (green) and W (white). I assume the C and/or Y terminals have something to do with the cooling, since I don't get any cooling right now.
In order to get the system cooling quicker than I can expect the contractor to get out here, I plan to replace the entire run of thermostat wire and simply reconnect everything correctly. Towards that end, what wires will I need to connect to what terminal(s) on the board to get cooling? From a little research, it seems that if I connect yellow and orange to Y, I should get it working, but I don't want to burn the house down! Any/all help will be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance - Chris

Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-05, 06:33 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You may have got some one to repair your unit already but I think that you really need to have thr fossil fuel control to get this to run properly. I don't really think that I can give you any real hands on info because there are too many combonation fo ways to wire.

It has been really busy here and I have been only able to eat and sleep for the past few days.