What tonnage for new Bryant unit?

Old 07-16-05, 09:50 AM
Marny
Visiting Guest
Question What tonnage for new Bryant unit?

Hi all!
Sure reads like there is a lot of experience here, so hope I can get some help

We are replacing 25 yr. old Bard unit with new Bryant HP. We live in Tampa Bay area. FL. in wood frame home that is 50 yrs. old...so yes! there are still areas that are not "well sealed", but we are doing that & replacing windows as we renovate. The "flat roof" house is only 1100 sq. ft. total and has only 1 central air duct line that runs down center of house; supplies lv.room, bdrm, kit/dng area - there is small office off kit. [no door] as well as pantry/laundry [door usually closed] that have no duct work to them. There is one 8' "offshoot" duct that supplies 2nd bdrm & bath. Otherwise, the main duct is a straight 35' run.

The old unit sits on concrete floor in a screened lanai with 1/2 aluminum/1/2 wood roof over. Unfortunately, it receives full sun in summer & the lanai gets very hot! [I don't know if that affects the unit but figured I'd throw in any info that might be pertinent]

A good friend is a Bryant dealer & has been babying our old unit along for 5 years & been very helpful, so we are going to use him for this purchase & installation.

I would like to have more info before we discuss this any further with him. The only thing he has told my husband is that he thinks the middle size unit of one series is what we need - no size 'tonnage' mentioned or price.

I looked at several Bryant sites & could only find one "series" that has 3 units. The Preferred series, so quess this is the one he meant. The only thing I could find on this unit is:
650A 2 ton SEER* 13.0 HSPF 8 [low, from what I've read here - but did not see any Bryant unit with 9 - 10 HSPF] it is a Puron unit. [didn't even see any Freon ones - is there big price difference?] Speaking of $$$ could find NO prices on any sites I found, so if anyone has a "guesstimate" I'd be so

I do not want to overspend or get to large a unit [read on here that that is less cost effective because it cycles on/off to often]
I do want one that will be "big" enough to handle our needs. We use the heat very little, so the cooling/humidity is top priority!

Does this 2 ton unit sound sufficient for us? I did read on here to "ask your dealer to perform and provide a written Manual J heat/cool load calculation for determining the proper size of new equipment." but, would like a "ballpark base" to work from so we have some general idea of what we might need.

Any suggestions, or input would be most appreciated...also any other question we should ask the dealer. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-05, 01:25 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Marny

The only thing he has told my husband is that he thinks the middle size unit of one series is what we need ???
What the heck does this mean?

As far as size, do not rely on ballpark,rule of thumb, WAG system, eyeballing, same size as current unit or any other unscientific method for sizing equipment. The professional method is the Manual J heat/cool load calculation performed by reputable dealers. Do yourself a favor and insist upon it. Any upgrades to your home as far as insulation, windows, doors, etc. must be taken into consideration. Obviously cooling is more important than heating for the climate you live. Nothing is wrong with Bryant or Puron(R-410a) heat pumps. Just be certain you are not paying more for this type equipment with this refrigerant. I would look at the Trane and American Std heat pumps either XR12 or Heritage 12 models. They come in both R-22 and R-410a refrigerant and the HSPF "heating" rating is higher than the Bryant.

I am not certain about placing an outside condensor in the "lanai". Outside unit must have good ventilation on all sides and top and I would rely on your installing dealer for advice.

You should ask your friend/Bryant dealer the specific model and size of the outside and inside unit he is quoting. Ask him to thoroughly review your ductwork. Inquire about the warranty from both him and the manufacturer. You will get better dehumidification in cooling with a variable speed air handler but this does come with a cost.

Good Luck!