Leak in System?

Old 07-25-05, 08:40 AM
djtyner
Visiting Guest
Leak in System?

Hey all,
Have used this forum as a reference for awhile now, but first time posting. About 9 months ago, I purchased my first home and decided to get a home warranty with it. About 3 months ago, I started having heat pump troubles. This is a carrier unit that is about 15 years old.

Basically, the system wasn't blowing out cold air, so I called the warranty company, and they had somebody come out the next day. All they could find was that the system was low on freon (by about 4 pounds). They refilled and everything was fine until about 2 weeks ago. I noticed water all over the floor where the air handler unit was (inside). Once again called the warranty company and they had somebody come out the next day. The guy couldn't figure out what was causing all of the water, but blew out the lines and said everything was fine. He also checked the freon level and said he had to fill it up with 2.5 pounds.

Now, the system isn't blowing cold air, and the same guy is coming out to do a leak check. He thinks he'll find a leak and he'll have to either replace the air handler inside or the compressor outside, but since you should have a matching system he suggests replacing both (because he says my system is too old). Here's the catch.....the home warranty company only replaces the broken part, so I will have to cover the other. So my question is.....is this really true....meaning if there is a leak, I have to replace the entire system as opposed to just fixing the leak? Seems a little fishy to me, but then again I'm not an expert. Thanks for any help you can give.
Derek

Old 07-25-05, 10:25 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
djtyner

First of all, you should be aware that your unit is at the end of the average life of a heat pump system. That is not to say that you may get a few more years of life. Keep in mind though there have been large improvements of efficiency and comfort with the new models on the market.

It is generally accepted on this forum that home warranties are of dubious value and that the techs are not as professional and/or competent as your dealer HVAC techs. I agree with this thought although there may be exceptions.

The refrigerant of a heat pump or straight AC is a closed end system. If you lose refrigerant, you can generally know that you have a leak, usually at the connections or in the coil. Just pumping more refrigerant is ridiculous because the leak has not been located or repaired. There are troubleshooting methods and special detectors to help locate leaks. Depending on the kind of leak/location may determine the time necessary to locate the leak. A "gas and go" repair while quick has not solved or repaired the problem.

It sounds as if you have two separate problems, a refrigerant leak and possibly a stopped up condensation line. If your leak is in the air handler coil, It is generally advisable not to repair because of the difficulty of the repair and whether it will last plus due to your system's age. Yes it is true that if either your inside or outside coil needs replacing, it is best to replace both to have a matching system as well as to achieve your operating efficiencies.

Good Luck!

Old 07-25-05, 12:09 PM
djtyner
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the info TigerDunes! This tech that has been servicing my system is exactly as you said: not as professional or technical as some other people I've worked with. Unfortunately for me, I have to go by what the warranty company says otherwise I will end up paying for the entire system. The tech comes out this evening, so we will see what transpires. i will let you know what I find out. Thanks again for the help.
Derek

Old 08-04-05, 03:52 PM
texsasyankee
Visiting Guest
If he didn't know why there was water pooling that's a problem. Your ac man may more of a problem than you pump.

I have a very slow leak in my very old Payne heat pump. I am going to recharge it but I don't know which is the high side and which is the low pressure side. There are two lines at the outside condenser. One is fat the other thin. Which is the high side? Does the high side change when the system is reversed and I am using the heat pump for heating rather than cooling?

THANKS!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: