...radiant cove heaters in basement?

Old 09-20-05, 06:40 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
any experience with radiant cove heaters in basement?

Planning to finish my basement soon. I'm thinking about using radiant cove heaters in the basement to supplement my furnace supplied heat.

Just wondering if anyone had any experiencing with using this?
Do they work as well as electric baseboard heaters?
thanks,
jasper

Old 09-20-05, 09:00 AM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
baseboard heaters warm the air.... radiant heaters warm the objects in the room.

Both work... Radiant heaters are often used in basements with great success..

Old 09-21-05, 11:02 AM
Thanks for your input. So far, only you and the guy at the power co. have given me some feedback. The guy at the power co. could have been just a sales pitch though. He says, he heated entire house with only radiant cove heaters, and couldn't have been more comfortable.

They sell them for about $200/ea and I would need 4 for my basement. I'm meeting with an HVAC guy tonight. I'll see what he says.

Thanks again.
-jasper

Old 09-22-05, 05:47 AM
should I add supplement heat to my basement?

All, I'm still trying to decide whether add some supplement heat for my basement project. I spoke with the HVAC guy and he recommended adding a few extra heat registers on window side and seating area. Also, a big (double) air return will be added as well. He says he can also adjust the blower speed and dampers to try and balance things out. Its no guarantee how effective all this will be? But it's the most economical approach and seems to make sense.

I had second thoughts about the baseboard or cove heating idea. And the gas stove idea really kinda breaks the budget. Plus, I already have a fireplace in my upstairs family room.

I just want a warm and comfortable basement my family can enjoy in winter. Any other ideas or suggestions? thanks,

jasper

Old 09-22-05, 05:54 AM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Go with the pro. Nothing like a "factory finish" in my book, with everything looking and working as if were designed that way. Worst case scenario.... somewhere down the road you have to buy a radiant heater....

Old 11-20-05, 06:34 PM
GRBoomer
Visiting Guest
I am considering cove heat in my 4-season and basement too. I too have found very little information. I did find prices on the internet in the lower $100s for 5' long.

http://www.radiantsystemsinc.com/

Have you found any information on sizing or mounting? Some manufacturers show mounted above windows, and others show mounted on the wall opposite the windows.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: