eHEAT strips upgrade question

Old 10-22-05, 07:43 PM
tnoradam
Visiting Guest
eHEAT strips upgrade question

Hi there, I have a carrier HP, model 38YXA024-3, and an air handler FV4ANF002 without strip heaters. I would like to upgrade my system with strip heaters and have already run all required wires to the handler, temp-sensor, and old thermostat (TSTATCCNHP01-B).
I would like to buy something smart and have eyed with the TSTATCCTRH01-B and the KFCEH2601C10 strip heater. This was also recommended by carrier. However the KFCEH2601C10 is not staged (I think), and here is what I really want. Can someone tell me if that makes sense and what I should use?
I want:

(1) if outdoor T>42F, then HP only, with optional 1st stage timed, maybe other stages too. I want to be able to adjust the time trigger and temp switch point to adjust for the size of my home and kWhrs drawn for each degree increase compared to kWhrs drawn by the HP for each degree.
(2) if T<42F, then HP with stages triggered by some algorithm
(3) if T<32F (or so), then HP off, but eHEAT stages triggered by some smart algorithm. Or does one leave the HP on even at temps below freezing?
(4) if T<0F or so, then HP off, eHeat off, but oil furnace on.
(5) Next year, I want to put zones into THAT !

Anyone know of a TSTAT/StripHeater combination that can do that?
Thanks - Thomas

Old 11-04-05, 06:44 PM
SteveKJR
Visiting Guest
You could use a outdoor reset controller which could have as many as 10 stages to control your system to sequence your heat pump and heat strips. Talk to carrier about doing this and they should be able to provide you with a controller.

Your could set it up to bring the heat pump on at 42 degrees as first stage. When the temp drops lets say 5 degrees, then the heat pump and 1st stage of electric heat comes on and so forth. Commercial systems use type of system for staging their boilers.

Steve

Old 11-05-05, 02:31 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

Oh boy . Out of the box here. You could take a small electric duct unit and slip it in the duct. Wire it so its only hot when the tstat is on. Then a air temp control in the duct . This way it would only come on if the air in the duct was to cool for you when the tstat was calling for heat.
Dont put zones in ,it just dont pay. On on set up we did 5 homes 2 units in all of them. They did a 6th home and another company did it with one unit and zone controls in it. That last home fuel bills run about a 1/3 more than the other 5 we did.

ED

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: