Strange noise from a old Carrier Heat pump??

Old 10-23-05, 06:07 AM
Austinpowers
Visiting Guest
Question Strange noise from a old Carrier Heat pump??

I have a Carrier heat pump (Model: 38QN018330, Date code: 6-88) that makes a buzzing noise when it's not running. Also when it is running & cuts off, it makes a "kshhhh" (sounds like a pressure release)sound which is fairly loud. Otherwise, it appears to be working fine. We receintly moved into this house, so I'm not sure what the maintenance history is. Any ideas???
Any help or input would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-05, 09:21 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The buzzing noise is likely a transformer or case heater in the unit. The "kshhhh" sound is probably that of the reversing valve changing directions when the system shuts down. Both are fairly normal. I might have a reliable HVAC company perform a routine service (preventative maintenance) to be sure it's operating efficiently, but wouldn't worry that the noises you hear are indicative of any problem.

One other suggestion: If this is the first heat pump you've owned, you might study up on the way it operates. It's going to do some seemingly weird things over the winter that might otherwise make you think it's malfunctioning. There are also a few slight alterations in the way you'll want to operate it to make the most of comfort and efficiency.

Doug M.