Heat pump doesn't work below freezing

Old 12-03-05, 06:31 AM
Pete Whitley
Visiting Guest
Heat pump doesn't work below freezing

Hi,

I have an Amana heat pump that doesn't work below freezing. I THINK it is a single stage unit that doesn't have a back up heat souce. It works great above 32 degree's but seems to not work if the outside air is below freezing. If I look at the outside unit there is frost on the the fins.

I put in a new thermostat and maybe did not program a settings correctly?? Is there an easy fix or is that just the way a heat pump works?

Thanks,

Pete

Old 12-05-05, 06:52 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
id see if you can have a heat strip put in unit as well that can be used when it gets cold most heat pumps do have them now

Old 12-06-05, 09:55 AM
DNT1
Visiting Guest
sounds like it has a outdoor air temp sensor that shuts the compressor down at or near freezing temps, most are adjustable to lower or higher cutout temps. You will need to have the unit install and owners manual to determine what you have. Note: I have seen numerous heat pumps where the HO has pulled the fuses or disconnect for back up heating coils have a local tech check it out. Plus if heat coils are needed he can pop you in a set and adjust the sensor and thermostat for maximum efficiency for you.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: