Help! - Thermostat wiring for heat pump

Old 12-10-05, 04:43 PM
statsdr
Visiting Guest
Help! - Thermostat wiring for heat pump

Hi. I need some advice about jumping two terminals when I change thermostats.

I am repalcing an older honeywell (T874C1018) theromstat for a heat pump/ac system in my condo. The wiring for 6 wall wires is:

G, B, O, W2, Y1 (with jump to W1), Rc (with jump to Rh)

The new thermostat is honeywell (RTH7500D) and it says to do the following:
G to G
B to C
O to O/B
Rc to R (with jump to Rc)
W2 to Aux
Y1 to Y

But it does not say anothing about jumping Y1 to W1. Is this still needed?

Any advice is greatly appericated.
Thanks

Old 12-10-05, 07:21 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Nope, you wont need this.. The t-stat control itself will do it when you are in heat mode.

Make sure your set up is set up for heat pump.

Old 12-10-05, 08:27 PM
statsdr
Visiting Guest
Thanks!

I hooked it up and it looks like it is working.

Not sure what you mean by "Set up": But I selected the "Single-stage heat pump with no back-up or auxillary heat" option and this seems to be working well (I can get the fan by itself, extra heat when the heat pump goes on, and cooler air when I turn it to cool).

Sound correct?

Old 12-10-05, 09:01 PM
On your old stat, you had Aux hooked up, and new you hooked up old aux to w2... so you do have aux heat.

Old 12-10-05, 09:14 PM
statsdr
Visiting Guest
Ah. Thanks for your help Jay.

I switched the setting to "Multistage Heat pump (heat pump with aux heat)". I do get Aux heat now. At least it says so on the display. It is hard to tell from just the tempertaure of the air, but I can hear it clicking on and off. Thanks again.

Old 12-11-05, 04:12 AM
Is there a furnace that moves the air? Gas? Or is there an air handler? do you see a bunch of heavy wires/relay? Electric?

You will amost need Aux heat to help heat the home on a very cold day (Don't knwo where you are from ) and when the heat pump goes into defrost mode.

Old 12-11-05, 07:15 AM
statsdr
Visiting Guest
I'm in a condo in Rhode ISland (and yes it is very cold today, but I'm sure not as cold as Minn.) and there is a common frunace (gas) for all the units that heats the air to a certina temp. But my controls are in my unit, so the fan that moves the air around is also in my unit.

As far as I can tell the heat pump is supposed to provide extra heat, when the common air is too cold. And it does frequently go on, but I can't what temp the heat pump decides it needs to help. I think the condo only heats the air to a moderate temp (62 or 65) and then lets everyone decide how much they want to pay to be warmer.

Does it make more sense now? The only other option that might work is to select the setting that is "conventional 2-stage heating and one stage cooling", but it says nothing about the heat pump.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: