leaking refrigerant??

Old 12-12-05, 04:38 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
leaking refrigerant??

Hello All-

I just had a completely brand new system installed in my house - 13 seer Trane unit - compressor, air handler, thermostat and duct work is all brand new. This system has been in for about a week - after I call the installer this morning and have him back out here again, that will be 3 times they have had to service the unit since it was installed. They have told me that refrigerant is the problem both previous times they have been here. The 1st trip, I got "there is only enough refrigerant in the unit for a 50' run of line - you had 70 feet" - the second time I got "we overcharged the system with refrigerant" - well now it is 2 days later and it is 61 in the house again this morning. Is there really any other thing it could be than a leak if the refrigerant is really not charged properly? Is there such thing as a lemon law? If this guy can't fix the problem, can I get Trane to send a different salesperson to look at it? This seems like it must be a substantial leak - how hard is a leak in a refrigerant line to find?

My only leverage right now is the fact that I haven't paid this guy yet - and I'm not going to until I have at least a week's worth of satisfactory performance from this system. So far, I haven't been able to get more than 3 days...

Thanks for any ideas.

Old 12-12-05, 04:54 AM
Is this just a one man shop or what?? Whatever company did the install needs to send out a tech to get things in order, if they cant the only thing you can do is get someone else in there and try to recoupe your loss.

Old 12-12-05, 05:07 AM
T
rikmoor

You are on correct track and seem to be doing everything you can do. I would ask installing dealer to send out different and most experienced HVAC tech to check installation. If it is a leak, there are diagnostic tools to help locate it. And after checking refrigerant, tech has a chart telling him the correct charge based on outside temperature. I have been told it is more difficult to get the charge correct with low outside temps.

What model HP condenser and air handler did you purchase? And I agree about not paying until it is right-that will help get their attention and hopefully satisfactory and quick results for you.

Good LucK!

Old 12-12-05, 05:57 AM
R
Thanks to you for the replies. I have also heard it is hard to charge properly when it is cold - but we are having temps in the mid 50's in the day - it isn't like we are below freezing. This is coastal NC - it just doesn't stay cold for long around here!

The Trane system I got is: air handler - 2TEC3F42A and heat pump 2TWR3042. That is all the info I have on them. Maybe that will help. I'm getting ready to call my installer right now. He is a smaller shop, but it is a well staffed (in numbers) outfit. They had different crews come out for the duct work install than they did for the handler/compressor install. So I think they are a decent size.

Thanks again for the help!

Old 12-12-05, 06:14 AM
T
rikmoor

This looks like a 3 1/2 ton XR13 system. At these mid 50s temps, system should be easily charged. You should be getting supply vent temps in the 90s and that's without heat strips. Post back and let us know what they find.

Good LucK!

Old 12-12-05, 06:27 AM
R
Thanks Tiger-

I spoke with the owner of the company today - he is sending out his best tech guy immediately. But even with good news today - and high air temps tonight - I'm not going to be convinced until I have at least a week or so without losing temp. And he threw out the "hard to charge in cold temp" line. We'll see what happens.

Ands you are right - this is a 3.5 ton, 13 seer unit. We have about 1900 square feet now - and this system was sized for the additional +/-400 sf we will add on within the next year.

Rick

Old 12-12-05, 03:04 PM
R
Just got a call from the owner of the company - he said his techs went over every joint to make sure there were no leaks - even though the system was still showing that it was charged properly. So the culprit? He said that the polarized plug for the heat strips wasn't plugged in - he thinks the electrician unplugged it to wire everything and didn't plug it back in when he was finished. Therefore, the heat pump was doing all it could - and works fine during the days - but when it got below whatever temp at night, the heat pump alone couldn't keep up - and the strips didn't kick in for the supplemental. Guess I'll find out if that is true or not over the next couple days.

Side note - should the heat strips really be required at all when the temp has been hovering around 32 at night? We've been just at the freezing mark - seems like I used to hear 25 and below for the strips to come on.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: