Garage Heating Options

Old 12-27-05, 09:58 AM
M
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Garage Heating Options

I'm not sure if this belongs here or in the garage section, mods move as appropriate.

I'll be building an all-new garage soon. It will be 780 sqft. (26x30)
The walls and ceiling will be insulated to R19. It will have two 9x7 doors which are insulated. My question concerns heating this space.

My current garage is the same size and insulation as above. I use a portable 30,000 BTU bazooka-flame thrower propane heater for it, and it works well but is very noisy.

I'm considering this heater for my new garage. It's electric, which I like. Bottle refills for my current heater are a real hassle.

This heater is rated to heat 500 sqft, and is 17,065 BTU. Even though I have more square feet than 500, I think this heater might work OK, given the level of insulation. Am I totally out in left field here? What are some good options to heat my garage? I don't have gas available, so electric is my only option for a permanent heating solution.

thx,
Joe Michel

Old 12-27-05, 07:53 PM
T
Wait just a minute here. Please tell me you havnt poured the floor yet. A garage, a mans last refuge, has only one wish. To be heated with radiant tubes in the floor. Trust me, it makes me cry to see a cement floor of any kind poured without tubing. Call your plumber, tell him you want to heat your garage with a water heater with in floor tubing. I promise he wont laugh. And you will spend way more time in there than the house.

Old 12-27-05, 08:55 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,177 Likes on 1,135 Posts
Absolutely - heat the slab! We put a propane heater in at my in-laws lake place and we kick ourselves every time we're out there working in the winter on that cold floor.

Old 12-27-05, 09:34 PM
M
Originally Posted by thermofridge
Wait just a minute here. Please tell me you havnt poured the floor yet. A garage, a mans last refuge, has only one wish. To be heated with radiant tubes in the floor. Trust me, it makes me cry to see a cement floor of any kind poured without tubing. Call your plumber, tell him you want to heat your garage with a water heater with in floor tubing. I promise he wont laugh. And you will spend way more time in there than the house.
Too late, the garage floor has already been poured. I didn't even think about doing floor heat.
What's next best?

thx,
Joe Michel

Old 12-28-05, 04:03 PM
B
heating a mans paradise

joe,

there still may be some hope in here, do you have to step down to the garage
from the main house (hope, hope,hope) ? if you do, what is the drop?
barry

Old 12-28-05, 05:52 PM
M
Originally Posted by brentwoodpmg
joe,

there still may be some hope in here, do you have to step down to the garage
from the main house (hope, hope,hope) ? if you do, what is the drop?
barry
Well, from this picture you can see that the house and garage foundation are all the same level. You can view all the construction pictures here The house will sit a bit higher than garage, by virtue of it's rim joist. I'd dare to say that the house will be 10" to 12" higher than the garage. I can't say how much for sure because the house has not been delivered yet.

I'm ready to start building this garage, but weather delays are putting a damper on the delevery of the house!!!!

What did you have in mind, Barry? My budget is getting tight, I'm not sure what I can afford.

thx,
Joe Michel

Old 12-28-05, 07:28 PM
B
heating garage

joe

this is one of those moments in time that you really want to
smack yourself about the head and upper body group. as dr. phil would
say, "what where you thinking???" . reverse engineering of this project is, at this poiint would be costly, removing the poured crete., redo the ground,
put back the rebar,etc. if you are NEVER going to use this garage other than it's intended design, to park cars, the system you want to setup is cool,
but if in the future you have high hopes into setting it up to be the beer swilling, tail gateing party in the gararage, invite all my equally depraved
freinds, (such as i do) me , personally, would set up a seperate heatpump
/cooling system in the last mans domain, the garage,the smell of your own tools, the place where you drew your own blood trying to change your own
oil filter.... at the same place that you found the heaters that you posted,
they also have gas fired infra-red heaters, or for my personel choice,
the quarzt heaters if you use this on a once in a while basis.( grangers).
or just regular basebord heating. the choice is up to you. wish we could go backwards to install radient heating but as they say hindsight is 20-20.
hope you and your's have a happy new year,
barry

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: