"Dirty Sock" syndrome

Old 01-01-06, 08:26 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
"Dirty Sock" syndrome

Hi All,

I think I've got the dirty sock problem on my heat pump.

I've read that this can be as simple as the trap for the condensate line being dry. I'll run down and have a look after I post. If that's not the problem, what are my options?

Is this something I can do myself (I'm marginally handy)? How expensive are the UVC lights? Any recommendations on brands? etc.? etc.?

I read on one website where some person was attributing this to 'lifestyle factors' (my guess is an attempt of the manufacturer to shift the blame to the comsumer). What lifestyle factors can we eliminate to reduce this problem?

Any and all advice appreciated!

Thanks!

-Chris-

Hello: Chris
By "Dirty Sock" problem (with the heat pump) do you mean an "Odor?"
Kindly explain in more details and specific information.
Thanks,
Web Site Host, Moderator Hiring Agent & All Forums Monitor.

Driving Safety Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Last edited by Sharp Advice; 01-01-06 at 08:40 AM.
Old 01-01-06, 08:51 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Yes -- definate odor! It's an intense, nasty smell that lasts for 3 or 4 minutes and it happens a few times a day. From what I've read, this happens when the system tries to defrost the outside coils (basically AC mode). My wife has a very sensitive nose and immediately identified it as mold. I figured it was 'cause the cat's litter box is near the air handler in the basement (which has a small return vent) and we were just being alerted to the cat's activities!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: