Trane Heat Pump

Old 01-24-06, 07:01 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Trane Heat Pump

A trane heat pump was professionally installed in August 2004. This winter when the temperature cools at night, my gas fired furnace fan fires off and runs all night. I called my HVAC contractor who was able to duplicate the condition at the temperature sending unit within the heat pump. They thought it might be related to a bad relay under recall, but that was not it. The last technician out 3 weeks ago told me he set the temp sender in the heat pump to 32 degrees F so the fan would not run while they t/s it some more. Then they had one of the installers stop by to check it later and he said he replaced a relay. (I have no idea if this happened our not.) The fan has not run, but I would suspect that if the system was truly fixed that the heat pump temp sensor would be reset to lock out at 38-40 degrees F. My understanding is that heat pumps lose there effectiveness at about this temperature. This mornings temperature is 32 degrees F and my heat pump is running just like normal. I have my doubts! I am located in the Willamette Valley in the Portland, Oregon area. Ease my mind or the contractor is coming back!

Old 01-24-06, 07:46 AM
T
bapprograss

I am making assumption you have a dual fuel system-heat pump paired with a nat gas furnace. Correct? Because of the diff in price between nat gas and electricity, it is to your economic benefit to run your heat pump at the lowest possible outside temp before it would normally call for aux heat-in your case the aux heat is your gas fired furnace as opposed to engaging electric heat strips from an air handler. It is true that an air source heat pump loses its efficiency as the outside temp goes down but you are still better off running your heat pump if it can maintain your inside thermostat setting. Because of your normally mild winters, I would set the heat pump lockout around 30-32 degrees and then make adjustments from that point. You do not want your gas furnace to run except when outside temp is below the economic balance point.

My question is what temperature is your lockout at your outside HP condenser set at. If its set at 32 degrees, then it sounds like your heat pump is operating normally. How is your comfort level?

When you refer to your fan, I assume you mean the blower on your furnace. Keep in mind, this fan will run whether the heat pump or the furnace is operating.

Not certain that I have eased your concerns or not but you should be shown the location on your heat pump for the temperature/thermostat lockout so you can adjust setting yourself. It is very easy to do on my Trane HP.

My opinion.

Old 01-24-06, 10:21 AM
The colder it gets outside, the heat pump will run more/all the time. and that's normal.

Like tiger said, set the lock out as low you can to a point were the heat pump can no longer keep the set point inside.

Old 01-24-06, 06:51 PM
B
More

If you guys are good with the temp setting, then so am I. I am just waiting for another sub-freezing night to see if the fan runs again all night. Since the fix, we have had no more cold weather so I have no idea if the original problem has been repaired or just masked. Thank you for your help!!

Old 01-25-06, 05:12 AM
T
Originally Posted by bapprograss
I am just waiting for another sub-freezing night to see if the fan runs again all night.
bapprograss

Could you elaborate some about above statement regarding the fan? What fan are you referring to? This is the furnace fan? It should not run all night unless fan setting at stat is in "on" position as opposed to "auto". This problem only occurs at night? This suggests a mechanical problem or perhaps a faulty thermostat.

Old 01-25-06, 06:49 AM
B
As the outdoor temp decreased, the furnace fan would kick on and run all night. I did not set the thermastat to do this. It has to do with the lockout temp of the heat pump sending its signal thats its locked out to the fan rather than the furnace. Thus the relay that was supposedly replaced to fix this problem.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: