why is heat pump replacement so expensive?

Old 01-26-06, 08:22 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
why is heat pump replacement so expensive?

I am about replace my heatpump soon and I am on a budget. I got three quotes, they are all around $4500 for a goodman 2.5ton seer13 unit with variable speed air handler, using existing duct work and pipes. I looked up the same system on some internet vendor website, most of them charge only $2000 to $2200 for the same inside and outside unit! Does it mean labor cost for less than one day is over $2000?

I know it is not recommended to install heat pump by myself. But if I buy heat pump over internet, is it realistic to hire a licensed contractor to help me install the new unit for $500 to $1000? By the way, I live in PA.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-06, 07:26 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
as long as you get a qualified technician to install the system,I dont see a problem getting the equipment yourself.The only thing is that most contractors are not going to warrenty equipment they did not sell.The other problem you may run into is getting someone to sell you the equipment.Yuo are not suposed to be able to by anything with refrigerant in it without cfc certification.Good luck