Heat Pump - Temp Output

Old 02-08-06, 07:12 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Heat Pump - Temp Output

Hi -

I just had a 4 Ton Trane Heat Pump XL15i with matching variable speed air handler installed in early January to replace an original 15 year old Carrier Heat Pump. I live in Southeastern PA and wanted to see if anyone had thoughts on the temp output of the system.

Over the past couple of nights - the system has been running non-stop (about 28-30 degrees outside). I have measured the temp coming out of the vents at about 85-87 degrees.

Does that sound reasonable? I understand from reading some other threads that it might be normal for Heat Pumps to run quite a bit with low temps outside but just thought I would check.

Thanks for your help.

Old 02-08-06, 07:50 AM
At 28 to 30 degrees outside, 85 degree output air seems reasonable for a heat pump. Is this different than the old system? Did you change the size of the unit? You might consider installing a thermostat that has outside temperature monitoring and can be set to lock out the heat pump below a certain outside temp. or manually switch to aux. heat when the temp outside is below freezing. Most air to air heat pumps don't deliver a lot of heat below freezing and can make the house feel drafty, thereby causing you to turn up the heat and negate any savings the heat pump was providing. Check with the HVAC company that installed the system to see if they can suggest any additional solutions.

Doug M.

Old 02-08-06, 08:10 AM
T
snowdog

With a new premium system like this and assuming a good ductwork system properly insulated, you should be receiving a supply temp from the low to mid 90s depending on outside temp. Anyone who tells you otherwise is wrong.

And despite what I see on this forum, heat pumps should not routinely run non-stop if sized correctly including the make-up aux heat strips. And especially not so with temps from the high 20s to low 30s which I would think would be very normal if not above average for SE Pa.

Was a Manual J heat/cool load calculation performed and if so what did it say?

I suggest you document everything and get your dealer back out to check your refrigerant charge. Generally, for a heat pump sometimes charging a new system in the winter can be tricky except fot the very experienced tech.

My Opinion.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: