Baseboard heat and Themrostats

Old 02-10-06, 06:06 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Baseboard heat and Themrostats

Hi, new to forum, good to be here.

The house that my mother is currently living in is about 30 years ago and has baseboard heat. I realize that baseboard heat is inefficient and expensive, but getting a central heating/cooling system is not within her budget means.

However, I noticed the other day when I was visiting that the thermostats have probably never been changed and are rather old. I was wondering if I changed all the thermostats throughout the house would that improve heating efficiency?

Thanks for the help, Michael

Old 02-10-06, 06:53 AM
This electric baseboard heat?

Make sure they are cleaned.. free air flow under the bottom to the top front.

As for the t-stat, yes, new ones makes the boase bard run more even, and less temp swing.

We used to live in an apt before getting this house, and it had electric baseboard.. The bill was killing us! I brought the electronic digtial ones, boy you can tell the savings and comfort.

The old t-stats had a large temp swing, and was never comfortable. the new digtital was with in 1 degrees, and it was comfortable. We also saw the savings on our bill.

Old 02-10-06, 11:28 AM
M
Yeah these are old t-stats, the ones that came with the house 30 years ago. I checked Lowes.com and saw that they have a Huter Mechanical Heat Only t-stats for $10.20. I did not see any digital t-stats that were heat only, but I'll keep my eyes peeled. Thanks for the info

Old 02-10-06, 12:58 PM
Go to Home Depot, They got the honeywell's programable ones. I am not sure if you can find it on line. but I know it's on the shelf at HD.

I would stay away from Hunters.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: