Electric radiant heat problem

Old 04-01-06, 01:54 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Electric radiant heat problem

Hi,

I could really use someones help!

I am in the process of installing radiant heat in 3 different zones, on plywood and thin set is already covering wires.

In one of the zones I am not getting the proper ohm reading: should be 217 to 265 and am getting "point 251" (.251). I managed to expose the end of the heating wire. When I check one heating wire at a time I get 135 ohm's on each wire, however when I reconnect the two heating wires at the end I only get ".251"?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

Old 04-01-06, 02:02 PM
B
many ohm meters have 2 different settings. It could be that you are reading kilo ohms which would mean your ok. make sure

Old 04-01-06, 02:04 PM
M
Thanks, but that isn't the problem.

Old 04-01-06, 02:22 PM
B
I realize this is probably a no brainer but just to be sure.. The right way to check that is with one contact from the tester on one wire and one on the other of the heating mat lead. sorry I can't be more help

Old 04-01-06, 02:49 PM
M
Yes, this is the way I originally tested all the zones. However, the zone I am having the problem with only reads ".251". What I would really like to know is why I get .251 when I test the two leads to thermostat and 135 when I test each individual heating wire from thermostat end to end of each heating wire.

Thanks,

Old 04-01-06, 03:01 PM
B
that is odd. It would seem to indicate that there are no breaks in the line if each tests correctly. Also a little strange seeing how it would be about right if not for the "." again sorry I can't be more help. hopefully someone will chime in with something usefull

Old 04-01-06, 03:05 PM
M
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but a reading of .251 has less resistance than 135 ohm's right?!? So, what does this mean?

Thanks again,

Mike

Old 04-01-06, 03:09 PM
M
If each heating wire gives a reading of 135 ohms, then if connected together they should give a reading of 270 ohms? This is close to the measurement I need.

Old 04-01-06, 03:53 PM
B
it doesn't quite work that way but you should be pretty close. Again, If it wasn't for the "." before the 251 that would be about right. I wonder if that isn't just a quirk in the meter. Maybe try another one on it? Also if you exposed the end on the mat like by cutting off that protective endcap you will need to replace it, or I was told, it would void the warranty. The company you bought it from probably sells replacements.

Old 04-12-06, 08:19 AM
Mike, Did you solve your problem? If not, you have a short. An area of the heating wire was damaged and the 2 conductors are in contact with each other. Exactly why you test between them. Measuring between the end of each conductor and the thermostat tells you nothing, and I'm not sure I want to know how you managed to expose the wires to do this test when they should have been sealed and burried under thinset, but... The heating wire needs to be replaced.

Doug M.

Old 04-12-06, 02:40 PM
M
Solved

Apparently, it was my multi-meter!

When testing in 200 ohm range it changes to Kilo ohms. I've had this meter for 20 yrs. and this was the first time I read the manual.

Thankfully, I discoverd this before installing new heating wire over the old. I was able to reconnect the wiring and heat shrink all the connections.

Thanks again for the help,

Michael

P.S. It was in thinset, fortunately I remembered where the wiring ended and only had the chip away a small area to expose the wire. Was also lucky that thinset didn't stick to wiring.

Old 04-12-06, 02:53 PM
B
Originally Posted by mlebout
Apparently, it was my multi-meter!

When testing in 200 ohm range it changes to Kilo ohms. I've had this meter for 20 yrs. and this was the first time I read the manual.

Thankfully, I discoverd this before installing new heating wire over the old. I was able to reconnect the wiring and heat shrink all the connections.

Thanks again for the help,

Michael

P.S. It was in thinset, fortunately I remembered where the wiring ended and only had the chip away a small area to expose the wire. Was also lucky that thinset didn't stick to wiring.
I had a feeling that's what it was. Before you cover that end up again you are going to want to order the replacement cap from the company to keep your warranty.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: