Install it myself?

Old 06-21-06, 08:45 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Install it myself?

I'm in Richmond, VA and have a problem with my 2.5 ton Goodman system. Currently, I have a leak in the condenser and even when new, it did not cool the best, so I'm looking at replacing with a larger unit. I've had 3 contractors come out to give quotes and they all seem rather high. One quote was for $5200 for a Janitrol 3.0 ton / 13 seer, another was for $7200 (same system), but with new ducting. I'm waiting for the third quote. Also, the quotes were pretty basic - they did not include Manual D or Manual J calculations, and for the quote to replace the ducting, they also indicated that they would use as much existing ducting as possible, and any major changes would be additional.

These prices seem a bit steep considering you can find a 3.0 ton / 13 seer compressor / air handler for around $2000. I'm starting to think about doing it myself, which seems pretty straight forward. I'm pretty handy around the house and have installed a new bathroom in my old house and am very comfortable with electrical work. I figure I could install the unit and then get a tech to vacuum pump the system and charge the system.

I'd appreciate some expert opinions. Thanks.

Old 06-21-06, 09:38 AM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
> they did not include Manual D or Manual J calculations

As I'm sure somewill else will say, without these calcs, any quote they give you is guesswork, which is probalby why you are having problems with the system you have now.

These cals are REQUIRED to adequately size and duct the system, and no professional HVAC contractor will give a quote without them.

Ask to have them done, and then ask to see them.

Beyond that to your question though.
Can you install your own system? Sure.
Will it be covered by warranty? Nope.

Are you prepared to take full account for any installation issues, breakdowns, etc., from the day you install it?

Old 06-21-06, 11:09 AM
It Can Be Done

If you want to save money, and you want to do it yourself...there is only one way I know of, that will not void the warrenty...I did this myself, and it worked out great.
Here is what I did:

First, like you I got quotes from companies in the yellow pages.
Once I found that there was no way I could have a good unit installed within my budget, I started asking friends if they new a good AC guy. Well that went nowhere, so I called around, and got the name of an Independent Licensed HVAC person.
I call the guy, and gave him my story, and he came over that Saturday.
He did the calculations and we decided on a unit.
He walked me through what had to be done, as far as duct work, and placing the units, both inside and outside, and he said that seeing some of the work I had already done in the house, that I should be able to get everything in place for him.
I paid him (up front) for the unit and fittings, and the next day he stopped by on his way home with the Unit, line set, fittings, mastic, tape, and the PERMIT

I did all the ductwork, based on his recommendations.
I ran the line set, making sure the caps did not come off them while they were fished outside.
I ran the Tstat wires, both inside and outside with the line set
I ran the wires from the panel inside and placed the disconnect box.
I ran the wire from the panel to the disconnect box inside.
I plumbed the condensate line.
I set the pad for the Compressor and set and leveled the compressor.

He came buy one night and walked through everything I had done, and gave it his blessing. He came back the next day and connected the line set, installed the return and secured the duct to the air handler.
He connected the wiring from the disconnect to the units, and called for an inspection.

The unit was inspected the next morning, and he swung by to get paid that afternoon.

I have $1600 tied up in the system
About 300 tied up in the ductwork
I paid him $350 for his time and Freon.

He even offered me a job installing duct for him…lol

Anyway, it can be done without voiding the warranty, just have to find the right guy.

Old 06-21-06, 11:47 AM
That's a great example Steve.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: