what is a multistage heatpump?

Old 07-10-06, 07:51 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
what is a multistage heatpump?

I am having difficulty determining what the difference is between a single and multistage heatpump. I am not sure which I have. The only reason why I think I might have a multistage heatpump is because my old t-stat was designed for a 2-stage heatpump. But I downloaded the spec sheet for my rheem heatpump and the word "stage" was not even present anywhare in the document.

so I guess what I am asking is for someone to define a single and multistage heatpump. I understand the basic concept of how a heatpump works but not how stages might be involved in that operation. thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-06, 09:59 AM
A single stage condenser only has one speed and thats full blast. A 2-stage condenser has a high and low speed. When running in low speed it runs at aprox. 67% of capacity. If you post the model # of the condenser we can tell you if its a 2-speed. You can also remove the t-stat cover and see if there is a wire connected to Y2. If not, its probably not a 2-speed.

Old 10-28-06, 06:08 AM
heatpump t-stat fan delay on em heat

need t-stat that has a fan delay on em heat ........have oil furnace with heatpump

Old 10-28-06, 04:29 PM
Wink

stevee If you have it a=set right the OT tstat will turn you unit over to the oil furnce and its fan control will start to work for you.

This day and age what is a 2 stage pump is all kinds. We have one now and the best it has two compressors in it. Then the other one is called a unloader where the compressor runs but dont pump as much freon in one stage as it does with both stages calling.

ED