Very Noisy Goodman Heat Pumps

Old 08-23-06, 06:41 AM
Angry Very Noisy Goodman Heat Pumps

A new house, as yet unoccupied has been bult next to mine recently. The contractor has installed two Goodman heat pumps on the side of the house which sit opposite of mine, about 45 feet away. The Goodmans are obnoxious loud to the point I can't use my screened in porch which is about 60 feet away from the Goodmans. They sound like two jet engines. I can hear them plainly even when I am on the other side of my house about 200 feet away. In contrast, my Carrier units are virtually silent.
I have called the builder to complain but my calls go unreturned. I complained to Goodman Consumer affairs who said get the contractor to install sound blankets. Do those work?
Are Goodman HPs just inherently noisy or were these istalled wrong? These are by far the loudest heat pumps I have ever heard anywhere. I have searched the internet from consumer complaints about Goodman but did not find any. Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-06, 07:24 AM
I find Goodmans noisy. It's the cheapest unit around here and I guess you get what you pay for. It also could be a poor installation contibuting to the sound. No rubber pads on concrete, unit overcharged, fan out of balance are just some things that could be wrong.

I don't know that the sound blankets will make that big a difference but every little bit helps I suppose. Unfortunately you are at the builder's mercy.

Old 08-23-06, 07:29 AM
CURMUDGEON7

I admit that the old Goodman condensers are very noisy as my neighbor has one but thank goodness my carport serves as a buffer. The new models though are reasonably quiet.

My suggestion is to walk over to the house since it is unoccupied and get the model numbers. Post this info back.

Either there is an installation issue, two units together rather than one, or you are very sensitive to the noise pitch and decibels coming from these units. I would send a letter to builder asking them to have the units checked out.

Good LucK!

Old 08-23-06, 07:59 AM
If the builder will not answer your calls then call your local municipality or HOA and have them come listen. If it's that bad they may be able to flex a little muscle.

Old 08-24-06, 07:34 AM
Goodman dB levels

I have not been able to get the model number of the noisy Goodmans (by the way, both units operate with the same sound level, not just one of them) since I am out of town. I checked the Goodman website and see that all of their units are in the 74 -80 db range with the exception of the SSZ14 series which is To Be Determined. Looking at Carrier website their claim is in the 68 -70 db range.
Some of the Goodman units come with pre-installed compressor blankets and others do not, according to the specs.
Anyway, where does the 74 -80 db range put Goodman with respect to the other competition? How noticeable of a difference is 68 db versus 80 db?

Old 08-24-06, 09:57 PM
Wink

Like said Id go down to City Hall. Before they give the home a "CO "and they can move in to it.

ED

Old 09-07-06, 11:27 AM
Question City Hall option

Back in July I called the chief building inspector for the County regarding the HVAC system. Noise is not something they inspect for and as such would not prevent the issuance of the CO. The inspector told me any noise complaint I had would have to be directed to the Sheriff. Not ready to do that yet. The home is sold and the new owner, has acknowledged the noise level, and has scheduled the HVAC contractor who installed the system to come out and check the system. We will see what comes of that.
I see that some Goodman units mention a Copeland compressor in the specs and others do not. I do not know what model these units are so I don't know if they have Copelands or not, or even if the brand of compressor is relevant. Is it?. If these are the low end Goodman units, what is involved in upgrading them to the better ones, that are hopefully less noisy?

Old 09-07-06, 11:56 AM
I've never found Copeland compressors to be excessively noisy. I have however found Goodmans, both high efficiency and standard models, to be somewhat noisy compared to other brands.

I'd wait to see what the hvac tech finds.

Old 09-15-06, 06:29 AM
Question No visit from HVAC contractor yet

Model of the noisy Goodman heat pumps is GSH130241A. This is low-end of the product line and one with one of the highest decibel levels, 78db. The specs make no mention of any sound reducing features as most of the other models do. Probably explains why so loud.
http://www.goodmanmfg.com/consumer/selectSub.act?sub=Series215&requestedSite=Goodman

Anyone have experience with this model and solving the noise problem?

Last edited by CURMUDGEON7; 09-15-06 at 01:36 PM.
Old 09-27-06, 02:20 PM
HVAC Tech says no trouble found

Operating normally, I was told by the neighbor, but just the same, Goodman is going to provide "shrouds" to mitigate the nosie. They should be installed next week. The HVAC tech said the Goodmans are no louder than any other unit out there. He must have been in the first row of one too many rock concerts to make that statement.

Old 09-28-06, 04:58 AM
Here are some comparisons of decibel levels.

weakest sound heard 0 dB
normal conversation at 3-5 ft 60-70 dB
dial tone of telephone 80 dB
city traffic inside car 85 dB

As someone else mentioned, you may just be tuned to the frequency these units operate at.

Old 12-22-07, 08:38 AM
Noisey Heat pumps

GOODMAN HEAT PUMPS

I just installed a four ton 16 seer Goodman Heat Pump.

It runs quiet, 64 Db two feet from the compressor unit and 80 to 90 Db on top of the fan.
Sound level at ceiling ducts varies but about 60 Db. This is slightly quieter than my last unit.
Sound level at ceiling ducts is dependent on quality of duct work installation.
Soooo be sure that the installer is satisfied with the duct system installation so you can include extra work if needed in your installation quote.
Not after the unit is installed

This unite included a sound blanket enclosing the compressor.

Sound level readings were determined using a Radio Shack sound level meter.

Unit Model No., SSZ160481AB Outside.
Model No., AEPF426016BA Inside.

There a number of companies that sells these units on the internet.
The price quoted on the net for the units was $3200.00. I expected to pay an extra $2000.00 for installation
When I showed this price to my installer, (Goodman and Amana certified installer) he checked with his supplier and found he couldn’t buy one for that price.

The units sold on the internet are not covered by a Goodman Warranty and can be sold for less money.

We then agreed to a price of $6600.00 total, for removal of old unit and installation of new unit using all new refrigerant copper lines. It’s a good idea when using the new 410 refrigerant.

WARRANTIES
Lifetime --- (for the Scroll compressor). Only two moving parts, ( Rotary operation), not reciprocating using (pistons, crank shaft and valves).
10 year for parts.
10 labor warranty (Cost $400 extra).

Caution, I believe some installers are (bad- mouthing) Goodman because of their published low prices on the net which takes away some of their leverage in price quoting.

However, I feel sorry for an individual who buys one on the net without warranty and then has to contend with shipping mishaps, problems with the equipment an or the installer without product warranties to back up his wallet.

I hope this helps with thee noise issues which might be exaggerated.

Stay Cool and comfy:

Griptite.

Last edited by griptite; 12-22-07 at 08:46 AM. Reason: Add noise deading info.
Old 01-03-08, 06:56 AM
Goodman Heat pummp

I removed it for you.

This post was placed in error.

Last edited by mattison; 01-03-08 at 09:20 AM.
Old 02-18-09, 09:39 AM
Noisy Goodman heat pump - defrost cycle

GSZ130241A/ARUF182416 (Installed Nov 2008)
Piston type valves

Unit ran very quiet (quieter than neighbors 1 1/2 Ton Frigidaire) for first 2 months but is increasing in sound at an alarming rate (both running and defrost cycle)

Here is what the unit now sounds like: (not my video)
YouTube - Carrier Heat Pump Noise Problem

Another neighbor has mentioned loud sound so I am getting very concerned.

Original installer insists unit installed correctly (cost $540 for 3 hrs).

I had another HVAC look at unit yesterday. He says unit overcharged. (Original extra charge was 6 oz for extra line length) I remember first tech stating something about pressure being high but OK for R410 even before adding Goodman recommended refrigerant (he didn't want to add). He added additional filter (in error as there is already one in unit) w/o extra refrigerant being added. These hold 6.2 oz so additional has been canceled out.

Current pressures at 40 F outside 410/96
(indoor temp at intake 73 F)

These are about the same as original pressures at install.

Calculated CFM using actual volt (237) & amps (20) on 5 KW heat strip = 857 CFM (was set to mid speed)
Speed was increased to Hi to try and bring down pressures but did not make much difference.

Very distinct frost banding on outdoor unit. 119 temp rise using hot gas method. Defrost time set to 30 (have upped it to 60 to reduce defrost cycles - avg temps now 28 to 40 normal humidity - south coast, BC, Canada)

Here's my dilemma. Goodman advises charge by weight below 60/70 outside. HVAC tech says charge too high and says factory charge error (nameplate says 129 oz). The only way to get a correct charge by weight now would be to empty and recharge. Tech has stated the compressor is slugging and/or reversing valve chatter.

How does all this relate to loud noise with unit? I installed a crankcase heater last week to possibly help with migration/foaming. (Lowest recorded temp for this area 15 F - it got to 20 this winter for several days). At this time I noticed nut missing on accumulator mounting stud which allowed it to rattle. I added locknut but these only made a small difference in noise.

I've ordered a sound blanket and will use my sound probe to check for noise from compressor and/or reversing valve at that time.

Old 02-18-09, 11:09 AM
Originally Posted by CURMUDGEON7 View Post
I have not been able to get the model number of the noisy Goodmans (by the way, both units operate with the same sound level, not just one of them) since I am out of town. I checked the Goodman website and see that all of their units are in the 74 -80 db range with the exception of the SSZ14 series which is To Be Determined. Looking at Carrier website their claim is in the 68 -70 db range.
Some of the Goodman units come with pre-installed compressor blankets and others do not, according to the specs.
Anyway, where does the 74 -80 db range put Goodman with respect to the other competition? How noticeable of a difference is 68 db versus 80 db?

Where did you find those sound ratings? Goodman doesn't post that information on their website.

Old 02-19-09, 07:02 AM
Just installed Goodman is noisy when heating, OK when cooling

A new heatpump was installed Monday, and in the heat mode is very loud! Floor almost vibrates from it, but it is just fine in cooling mode. A tech was here all day yesterday, testing and changing things around to no avail yet. They think maybe a new lineset will make a difference. The old is behind drywall and can't be seen- but they think it is laying on the drywall and vibrating. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Last edited by shadow13; 02-19-09 at 09:06 AM.
Old 02-19-09, 10:07 AM
Handy tool to diagnose sound problems

Originally Posted by shadow13 View Post
A new heatpump was installed Monday, and in the heat mode is very loud! Floor almost vibrates from it, but it is just fine in cooling mode. A tech was here all day yesterday, testing and changing things around to no avail yet. They think maybe a new lineset will make a difference. The old is behind drywall and can't be seen- but they think it is laying on the drywall and vibrating. Any thoughts? Thanks!
You might consider listening for source of noise along wall using an inexpensive stethoscope such as the one shown here:
Canadian Tire
Any automotive store should have them.

I've found it handy for all sorts of problems such as bad bearings in motors.

Just be careful where you stick it.

Old 02-19-09, 10:31 AM
URL given may not work for US

Originally Posted by jayver View Post
You might consider listening for source of noise along wall using an inexpensive stethoscope such as the one shown here:
Canadian Tire
Any automotive store should have them.

I've found it handy for all sorts of problems such as bad bearings in motors.

Just be careful where you stick it.
Try this one for picture:
Toolmonger Blog Archive Automotive Stethoscope

It really works great to pinpoint noise.